TRAIN - FROM BANGKOK TO CHIANG MAI - HOW . . .

unit731

Anyone have knowledge about taking train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?

I have never taken a train in Thailand before. I did stay at the Centre Hotel (Bangkok Centre Hotel, now) and I did walk thru the train station years ago.

I read in my guide books that there are all sorts of different trains and all sorts of different classes of seats.

I prefer a day trip to see rural Thailand. I realize it is a long trip - but that is what I am here/there for - to see some of the scenery.

I guess, I would prefer an air-conditioned somewhat comfortable seat next to a window. What class is that and what train do I ask for? And how far in advance do I have to book ticket?

No, I don't want to fly. No, I don't want a bus.

We don't have trains where I reside. The government did away with trains and built super-highways - and just let all the railroads go bankrupt.

Also, what about meals on train? Anyone have a guestimate as to cost in euro's/dollar's/pound's? :applause:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've taken the train from C.M. to Bangkok twice, both times at night. It is a 14 hour trip and you can order dinner and breakfast, or go to the dining car. In air conditioned cars, all seats are assigned, so just ask for a window seat (there will be no one sitting next to you but across from you, the seats are spacious). There is no luggage restrictions, which is why I take it. The cost of an overnight, airconditioned trip is 728 B and in low season, I don't think that you will have any problem buying a ticket a day or two in advance. You can get them from the train station or from just about any travel agent.

@unit731

about the fares sayjann already answered

The train

is slow (usually 40km/h)

there are 3 classes

I suggest you to take the first class which is AC

the trains are usually on time.

You can find the timetables/prices (in english) at the central station, during low season you can book 1 or 2 days before without problems.

Have a nice trip

I've taken once the BKK/CM overnight train, and the only souvenirs I keep from that "trip" are the air-cond way too cold, the other passenger who snored, the deep dark night outside, the very disappointing sceneries in the morning (I'm spoiled with Java's beautiful surroundings of volcanoes, jungles, rice terrasses and tea plantations), and above all the annoying feeling to have lost a "precious" night of vacations !!!

::

Archived