Scary shit for parents in Siem Reap

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The siege is over already, with a minimal loss of life? I knew they don't mess around in Cambodia but gotta love a place, in addition to its obvious proximity to Angkor, where 50 hostages--foreigners at that--net a ransom of $1,000, a handful of guns and a getaway car (would have loved to see that slow-speed rally to Poipet).

Police end Cambodia school siege

Police have ended a hostage crisis at an international school in north-western Cambodia, after gunmen seized dozens of children.

An eyewitness told the BBC that at least four of the gunmen had been captured, but that one young girl had died at the school in Siem Reap.

All other children, aged between two and six, and from countries including the UK, US and in Asia, are now free.

The hostage-takers are said to have demanded $1,000, weapons and a car.

Karl Balch, honorary British consul in Siem Reap, told the BBC he believed that three of the gunmen could be dead and a fourth was in police custody.

The motive for the hostage taking is still unclear.

Siem Reap is popular with tourists for the ancient monument of Angkor Wat and is relatively prosperous, compared to most of Cambodia.

Kindergarten captives

At least four men armed with shotguns were said to have stormed the private school at about 0930 (0230 GMT).

They seized two kindergarten classes and a number of teachers.

The children are reported to have come from Japan and several other Asian countries, Australia, the US and across Europe.

One British child was also taken hostage.

Reports from the scene say the men demanded cash, six AK-47 assault rifles, six shotguns, hand grenades and a car.

Tourist town

Correspondents say the school is used mainly by foreign residents in the gateway town for Cambodia's most popular tourist attraction, the Temples of Angkor.

The relative prosperity of the area is in marked contrast to the rest of Cambodia, which is one of the poorest countries in South East Asia.

Acts of terrorism are extremely unusual in Cambodia, the BBC's Guy Delauney reports from the capital, Phnom Penh.

The leader of the outlawed Cambodian Freedom Fighters was recently arrested in the US on terrorism charges

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4098412.stm

CNN is reporting the event has ended with one child (maybe Canadian) and 2 hostage-takers dead. 2 other invaders were captured (they're as good as dead), but no word on the other 2. Can't imagine any of the perpetrators being able to escape capture or death.

Demanding $1,000 and a 'safe' trip to Thailand? Like they would be welcomed into any other country, much less Thailand.

sfinkz said:

The siege is over already, with a minimal loss of life? I knew they don't mess around in Cambodia but gotta love a place, in addition to its obvious proximity to Angkor, where 50 hostages--foreigners at that--net a ransom of $1,000, a handful of guns and a getaway car (would have loved to see that slow-speed rally to Poipet).

It seemed from the report I readk, to be a really unprofesionally run hit. A bunch of hoods trying to do a big hit for a low level gangster is the way I saw it.

My sympathies to the families vicitimized by the foolishness.

All,

Here's the report in the Boston Herald today I read this morning.

Cent

CAMBODIAN THUGS INVADE SCHOOL, KILL TOT

Siem Reap, Cambodia -- The occasional sound of toddlers crying came from inside the international school where masked gunmen held dozens of children hotage.

A 3-year-old Canadian boy cried too much the attackers said, so they shot him in the head. The echo of gunshots raised the tension yesterday on the muddy street in front of the school, where hundreds of onlookers had gathered to wait out the ordeal.

As the police negotiated, parents wept and the hours stretched on.

By the time the police finally overpowered the four attackers -- a full six hours after the siege began -- the parents' fury erupted. They kicked and beat three of the four, described by police as small-time gangsters, and left at least one unconscious before authorites intervened.

"They were very outraged by them. We could barely control the angry crowd," said military police officer Prak Chantheoun. "One foreigner threw several hard kicks to the head of one of those men."

The attackers, who demanded ransom, barged into the school at about 9:30 a.m. and herded a teacher and almost 30 nursery school-aged children into a classroom in one of the school's two buildings.

Dozens of other children -- from as many as 15 countries including the United States -- managed to hide or scramble from the grounds. It was not known if any American children were held hostage. -- Associated Press

All,

Yeah, shoot a 3-year-old because he was crying too much. These types need to be killed as soon as the kids are safe. Don't know why the police intervened at all when the thugs were getting stomped by the enraged parents. Shoot the fuckers and never mind the cost and time of the trial. Probably afraid the NGO types and bleeding hearts were around and watching probably. Imagine blowing a 3-year-old kid's head off because he was crying too much? Perfect candidates of Pol Pot's army I'd imagine. I wonder if the western bleeding hearts have managed to abolish the death penalty in Cambodia yet? I hope not.

Cent

Nervous_Dog said:

I read that all of them where security guards, inclduing one from teh school.

Nice security!

ND,

Did you hear about the high-school girl gone missing in Aruba? Raped and murdered by a couple low-lifes working as security guards in a nearby hotel that was closed at the time. Picked her up from a local bar and she hasn't been seen since.

Cent

DOG

Archived