SIM Card Registration?

Old Hippie

I wonder what tourists like myself will be effected by this? and how are we supposed to register our sims?

Mobile phone users told to register SIM cards

BANGKOK: -- Mobile phone users are being given six months in which to register their personal data under a government scheme aimed at cracking down on the use of mobile phones to detonate explosives in Thailand's southern border region.

Introducing the 'Joining Hands, Joining Forces' campaign today, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Minister Suwit Khunkitti said that prepaid mobile phone customers would be given from 1 July to 31 December to register their information.

Under the scheme, mobile phone users will be expected to fill out forms in their own handwriting, in which they will state their name, identity (ID) card number and mobile phone numbers.

They will then have to sign the form in the presence of an official, who will then countersign it.

The scheme is being introduced in an effort to prevent southern insurgents from using mobile phones belonging to other people to detonate explosives.

By registering all SIM cards, the government hopes to be able to log the identity of all users.

--TNA 2005-06-22

--------------------

* Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?

* If God had meant us to travel economy class, he would have made us narrower.

"By registering all SIM cards, the government hopes to be able to log the identity of all users."

Damn I will have to bring my passport when changing SIM cards

Totally stupid and useless measures........This is very easily bypassed.

But

As this is not my country nor my law then

"It is a very innovative measure which will be very usefull for tracking poor butterflies farangs who wish to corrupt our good BG"

At least that's what I would say if I was an expat.....

:elephant::rotfl::liar:

well, there's actually a simple reason they wouldn't use a stolen SIMM to set off a bomb: you never know if someone is going to call the number while you're setting up the bomb, which would definitely put a monkey wrench in your plans (even if you were a suicide bomber...timing is everything!)

a brand-new SIMM is much less likely to unexpectedly ring...unless, for instance, it's one of those annoying 1-2-CALL "promotions" that they send you as an SMS sometimes. heheh, that would be pretty funny, huh?

vox

Archived