Carabao in SFO! W/Pics

Old Hippie

Hey, any idea who the other guys in the picture are? I think the guy on the left of Carabao is named "Derry" or something...the fat Thai girl pushing up on me said something like that, apparently he is pretty popular as well...the guy on Carabao's right I don't know...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No OH, I have never seen Carabao live. And don't have any of their VCD's. The only guy I remember the face of except of Aed is a flute player - bl**dy good one. He has glasses and is pompoi. Don't know if he is still there.

Aed Carabao has/or had a brother in the band - Itt. His efforts at songs are embarressing. But every group needs some crap to fill in their CD's - right?

Funny enough, my Thai step sons are also nicknamed Aed and Itt :D. When you call Aed Carabao "Carabao", be aware that Carabao is just a band name. Typical Thai - always hide their real names.

Now I am gonna put on a CD with the song "Indian daeng".

:beer:

Yep, that flute player was still there, he alternates on drums as well! Figured "Carabao" was the "brand name" so to speak. A few of the guys had that logo tattooed on themselves. Oddly, I have heard that his shows usually attract some sort of violence...not sure if it is his shows, or Thai concerts in generel...? A few wild guys with their shirts off, and a lot of really nice looking girls...will repeat if he comes back!

Here's a few more pictures...Not sure what was up with these guys, but loud and having fun!

DSC_0118a.jpg

These next few pictures don't do the "audience/girls" justice...

DSC_0064a.jpg

DSC_0117a.jpg

Aed saying hi and getting some tips! I like to see the Thai tradition of bribing the performer continues here...

DSC_0101a.jpg

Thanks for the extra pics OH!

Carabao is water buffalo, and its not a one man group - so not "his". Though Aed Carabao is the leader.. Aed Carabao has done some solo albums though. I have read the same about the violence before, here on Nanaplaza. Maybe some of the violence is linked to that Carabao were the first rock group in Thailand, and for a long time the best. They have been around since around 1980 or so.

Violent people are often the typical "follow the flow" people, as they lack brains.

Don't have many of these idiots at low key unknown Blues concerts - right?

Aed Carabao is certainly controversial. He has had a huge influence on Thai society. Played a part (some will disagree) in bringing down a former Thai PM.

His lyrics are very pro poor Isaan farmers. I also think he was a communist from the 70's, during the student uprising at that time.

But its the music which I love !!

"Porachai curfew" is a song which many posters here will identify with at least.

Cheers! :)

Here are some more cities they will play!

http://www.eastlandfood.com/concert05.htm Doesn't look like anything to close, L.A. would be doable, if I didn';t have a previous engagement (Big Thai party here in the Bay area, fund raiser for the Temple...), it would be a good excuse to get out of town for a day or 2...L.A. can be fun! Where are you based?

Nice shots, OH- you must be learning about your new camera quickly.

Looks just like LOS, especially the one with the guys and the girls and a blanket littered with empty beer bottles. Nice that you have a bit of Thailand where you live. In my home town, we have 4 Thai restaurants and that's it.

Archived