Gaming Laws in LOS

dubbs

So it is illegal to even play online poker? Almost all the poker sites are located offshore and i'm very certain it's illegal to have servers in Thailand for any gaming operation but I thought you can at least play online if you want to. I have tried to research laws but I have yet to find anything that says it is illegal. The most I have found so far was that the Thai government enforced ISPs in Thailand to block around 11 UK based sportsbetting websites during a 3 week span for the Euro 2004 tournament in Portugal.

I'll see if I can find out the answers for certain but any help or info would be appreciated.

Dubbs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I can't tell you on the exact legality (I presume illegal by the letter of the law). I do know that with the exception of a few (ladbrokespoker, betfairpoker) you can access all the poker sites. On Partypoker and affiliates you can play but you cannot deposit or withdraw from your Partypoker account through the internet in Thailand, you'd have to get someone to do that for you from a different location

I would think it would be very unlikely that you could be in trouble for playing poker for $ unless you did it in a public place and someone saw, understood and wanted to report you and the police arrived while you where playing and they understood what was happening.

All the poker sites allow playing for play money so you could just be playing a internet game.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=830

Is online poker in Thailand illegal?

I am a professional poker player who travels a lot, but mostly I play poker online. I was thinking about living in Phuket from September to April as I have been visiting a lot since 1994 and really like the people and the climate.

This would not be possible if there was no way for me to play poker online from servers placed elsewhere in the world. Is it illegal to play online in Thailand?

Friday, July 22, 2005 Magnus Andeersson, Sweden.

?It is legal if you play online poker for entertainment only, but illegal under Thai law to play for even small amounts of money. Every online game played for money is illegal in Thailand. ?

Friday, July 22, 2005 Pol Maj Wacharin Jiratthitikarlwiwat, Phuket City Police Station.

Archived