Cost of living in Tokyo

khunsanuk

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks for the response so far guys.

Yes, client would pay for accommodation and, if previous visits of my boss are anything to go by, this will likely be within walking distance of the office.

Entertainment costs are irrelevant, the staff (possibly) going is young and I would think it highly unlikely they'll be checking out the bars.

My main concern is food and just basic living expenses (groceries like toothpaste, toilet paper, snacks, etc).

Like PM I too think that 300K would be over the top (way over the top :), one them is now making 16K, the others 26-28K). $50 a day sounds reasonable.

Sanuk!

PS UAL875, thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid I do not have any details at this point, no other info than what is in this thread.

Hi,

just a few comments:

fast food and no entertainment and no sports on that budget. My friend who is a golfer said that cost for golfing in central Tokyo is priceless (you can't buy it - it's provided by the big companies for executive employees), good restaurants really expensive and nightlife extremely expensive. Living in central Tokyo in a decent apartment and with normal restaurants visits and some nightlife every week you must make more than 3 M JPY every month, he made 5 and couldn't save anything.

Friend says that if they make 16 - 30 k baht in Thailand they can be compared with help desk bilingual japanese with zero experience and a starting salary of 250 k JPY.

My exTWs niece was recruited directly from uni (IT) some years ago. Her starting salary was 50 k baht!

elef

for nightlife,

most Japanese girls can be had for free. Well, you pay with your heart in the end.

but, a little smooth talking, and a little interest in japan will take you all the way.

however, through the dating process...

taxis, short time hotels, dinner for two, a movie, an art gallary...

easily adds up to more than 4-5,000 baht!

Peace!

work permits or some kind of VISA must be done before arrival. best to do it in Thailand if these people are Thai. They will need all sorts of forms and letters from their company and where they will work etc. etc. they will need some kind of sponsorship and gurantor...

a MAJOR hassle. takes time, too.

going without the work VISA will mean that they will have to leave and get it; and enter again with it.

Check it out, if they are not being paid in Yen from a Japanese company a VISA may not be needed, how long do they get to stay on a normal tourist visa? not that I am suggesting they do anything illegal, mind you.

They should also expect A LOT of hassles and delays and racism if they are Thai.

Depending on how long they will stay, and what kind / if any VISA they get:

a gaijin card (alien registration card) will also be needed after they arrive; they will have to register where they live in their local neighborhood. Easy to do, if they have the VISA, an address, and a job. (they also need a couple of photos!)

and what about Japanese national income taxes if they are being paid in Yen?? they will automatically be deducted from their salary. (about 20%) So, the people who will go to work there, should understand that they will not actually receive part of their salary every month. Usually transportation to work is listed as non-taxable income. but a per diem may or may not.

yes, as you peel the Japanese onion, more and more layers appear...

Archived