Woohoo, first trip soon :)

dubbs

Alf,

"and remember most thais lie."

Bit of a broad brush you are painting with here Alf don't ya think? I find that while in the "bar scene" it pays to take most things with a grain of salt and not believe everything you are told is a smart thing, but "most Thais lie" is far from what I have seen outside the bar-scene/tourist trap areas with most Thais I have met. Most Thais lie about as often as most farangs from what has been my experience outside of the bar scene. Don't paint the entire nation and people from experiences in the farang ghettos and prostitution areas, please. I meet many decent and honest people in Thailand.

But yes, remain vigilant while in the P4P areas and dealing with people whose main goal is to seperate a tourist from his baht as quickly as possible. Just common sense in any area the same the whole world over.

Cent

yeah - most Thais lie. While at Chatachuk Market today we bought a number of different items from a shop, paying each sepperate.

The last was 3 bikinis for 100 Baht.

I paid with a 500 baht note, and then in the excitement of DarLek and Jing-Joe, walked off.

a minute later 50 metres down a alley in Chatachuck I get tapped on the shoulder with my 400 baht chane i had walked away from.

Was wondering how I would post about it, thanks Alf for the opportunity.

Yeah - Thais lie and steal !

DOG

Khun_Kong said:

"Oh yes, I want to get out of the hotel, see BKK, blah blah blah"

Then you admit to leaving the hotel only to get food. That's real newbie stuff.

You will not be an Old Hand until you start staying in your room 24/7 and ordering food, booze and broads from room service. :)

Well after a few days there and you get a few phone numbers thats what happens most of the time :D

And i never said i know about Thai culture :o There is time for that later in my life. ::

Notwithstanding the incredible number of honest Thais...

To be honest, Thais do lie, and they do it very often. There is no type of legacy like, "My word is my bond" in Thailand as far as I know. The stigma attached to lying is quite a different animal here. To a Thai, lying is much more preferred than giving offense so lies abound to no end in this country.

It permeates all of society from bargirls to business deals. And it's not just to prevent offending people. In business, the courts offer very little recourse unless you are willing to invest/gamble considerable resources to get it rolling. Many Thai business folk will lie directly to your face. Work is done after money is put up in a bank to guarantee delivery of goods/services. That's why relationships here are even more important. It lets you know who you can trust, but even that goes out the window if they see enough profit in shafting you in the ongoing deal.

As a tourist though, it shouldn't have a big effect. Just beware of promises that are too good to be true :)

Fun fun!

<<burp>>

Archived