Buddy Broadband

Sarisin

Saw this website (mostly Thai) and had some problems understanding what it is and includes...broadband, cable TV, cell phone, pay per view???

Anyone have it or any ideas if is any good?

I guess it is all under the wing of Mr. T ... as is everything.

::

It's a bundle of services offered under AIS subsidary conpany with TOT.

They offer ADSL, and with that, not just internet but also IPTV.

They have "Launched" but it is still a limited srvice.

True offering doesn;t include iIPTV yet, but will soon, before end of year.

True have a much better network, whereas the buddy network is still under development.

DGO

Here is the correct weblink: www.buddybb.net

Buddy BB is the first IPTV network in Thailand and the standard packages gets you broadbad internet access (2 Mbps domestic web and 1 Mpbs international) for your PC, and some interactive video/TV services (6 Thai TV channels, video on demand, music on demand, karaoke, online gaming, news services, internet/email on TV) shown on your TV screen. Service coverage area is growing fast not only in BKK but also major cities in Thailand, e.g. Phuket/Patong should have it already. Check with the call center or website if your house is within coverage area.

The problem with the TV services is that the video/TV quality depends on the length/quality of your TOT phone line. If your house is more than 2 km away from your TOT telephone exchange, forget it. My house is over 3 km away from the TOT exchange and the quality of TV/video services is not satisfying for me. I returned this part of the package back to ADC (the Buddy BB operator) and only keep the broadband internet service. The high speed internet is pretty good though and for 500 THB probably one of the better deals in Bangkok. I measured 1.7 Mpbs (local websites) and 620 kbps (international websites) for my connection. Again that very much depends on your TOT line quality.

If you have a TRUE line you need to wait at least until the end of this year. Their IPTV service will be launched end of 2005, beginning of 2006. But compared to TOT, True's phone lines are newer and in average much shorter, thus more suitable for IPTV.

BkkGeorge

Also ADC (Buddy) dont have that many IPTV boxes yet, TV content is not available in great quantity or quality of channel.

That will also change towards the end of the year as they buy more content, however, I am very doubtful of the claim they will be offering outside bangkok,

All in all the true system is a lot better, and the interactivity on true will operate at a higher speed.

IPTV is a interesting conccept, but be prepared to have a small delay wile changing channels.

Both systems are currently using MPEG2, but expect to see MPEG4 in the near future, enabling a better quality of picture at greater distances.

TOT originally thought their lines would enable 4 - 5 kms upawards of servicable area, sadly they discovered that they couldn't get that distance, copper quality wasn;t there.

If you want this for Pay TV, don't bother now, wait.

DOG

bkkgeorge said:

But compared to TOT, True's phone lines are newer and in average much shorter, thus more suitable for IPTV.

Yes, True's telephone cables are much newer than the average TOT cable. True (TelecomASIA) built their outside plant using new jell-filled cables that offer better insulation resistance than non-filled or pulp insulated air-core cables.

I installed the very first ADSL service in Bangkok for TelecomASIA in April, 2001. It was surprising how far I could get their Nokia-based DSLAMs to operate. One of my test services was out at 21,000 feet and was still operating at over 1M bps!

One of the reasons that DSL works so well for True is due to their cabling architecture. As the cable exits their many switching facilities it is 24 AWG. After 6,000', 22 AWG, and after 16,000', 18 AWG. If only every telco would build their copper plant in this fashion.

On a side note, after working for TelecomASIA for three months, I met many sweet and beautiful women. But not like the girls of Girls of WorldCom

Archived