hardware problem?

soongmak

For those who have tried to help me out on reformatting the harddrive, thanks for the tips. I couldn't get around it though because my PC freezes up all the time. I suspect it is a hardware problem. Last week I had the hard disk with my OS on it replaced (no, not the hard drive from the other thread), but the problem is there - again! I am simply working on my pc, be it internet, a word document or looking a movie, and wham - the screen freezes up and nothing works anymore. I have to shut down the system with the power button. When I try to fire up my PC right away, all I get is the Pentium IV logo, and windows won't start. Basically any operation on my PC is doomed now. I can't look a movie, I can't write a report, because it freezes up all the time. Anybody has an idea what part of my PC is probably fucked? I myself was thinking the motherboard, but basically I don't have a clue. Thoughts, anyone?

My system is a 3.2 Pentium IV with 2 MB cache memory, 1gb ram, and it runs on windows XP. If you need more info, just ask. Thanks!

Sad news, sorry to hear that.

Your new PC, you bought it out of he box or you put the parts together yourself? In case of out of the box systems you shouldn't do anything to void warranty.

You say your PC freezes, and you can't start up right away. Maybe, just maybe a heat problem? You have some tool that does show you the temperatures from the sensors in the mainboard? That will give you a clue. Try Everest home edition (freeware). It will read the temps and fan speeds for you (computer - sensors).

Get Drive Fitness Test and check all drives. Get Memtest86+ and let it run for at least one complete pass. Both DFT and Memtest86+ run from floppy.

All three tools are free, good and won't void any warranty. Maybe they show something.

Good luck

carlton

It's an out of the box system. The hard disk was replaced by the service center, but only 10 days after replacing the hard disk, the problem came back again. I feel they haven't diagnosed it properly or maybe I am just damn unlucky and have 2 fried hard disks in only two weeks. I do not suspect it to be a heating problkem, it also starts when I haven't hardly done anything. FYI, it is a Medion 8386 XL I bought at the Aldi 3 months ago. I will try to run the tests as you said, but I fear I won't be able to complete them. It freezes just too damn quick. :(

Hi,

you are right, two fried harddisks are very unlikely.

DFT and Memtest86+ run from floppy. And I think your PC doesn't have a floppy. Try to download Ultimate Boot CD which has both progs and many others. Download is 150 MB though. Please check the computers temp first. You said when you want to boot immediately after it freezed then Windows won't start. So if you wait some time (and everything cools off) then Windows starts again?

Please download Everest Home Edition so you get an idea what the temps of your CPU and disk really are.

iI give up. I just tried to start the damn thing after at least 6 hours of inactivity and the damn thing won't even boot. I have the ultimate boot disk, but I can't even get the computer to start. :banghead: :onfire: :censored:

Oh well, that means another wasted day waiting for the damn service people. I will make sure he can tell me what is wrong with this piece of crap and why! :cussing:

Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

Cheers,

soongmak

soongmak said:

I couldn't get around it though because my PC freezes up all the time. I suspect it is a hardware problem.

Anybody has an idea what part of my PC is probably fucked? I myself was thinking the motherboard, but basically I don't have a clue. Thoughts, anyone?

I have built eight PCs in my computer life and have had three go through freeze-up problems. [color:"red"]In every case, the issue was with the power supply![/color] Very cheap to replace and if it turns out that is not the problem, you always have one around for a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The mechanic just came by to repair my PC. He suspected it was the motherboard as well and he has replaced it. I said that maybe it could be a power problem as well, and he told me it could very well be, but he didn't have cables on him to replace the original. Oh well! I have a new motherboard now and all is working well. I will give this baby a workout tonight and see if it holds up. If it doesn't, I'll have them replace the cables.

Cheers,

soongmak

• 4 weeks later...
I have built eight PCs in my computer life and have had three go through freeze-up problems. In every case, the issue was with the power supply!

Replacing the motherboard and the harddisk didn't help. Yesterday they finally replaced the cables. It looks really good now. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived