The sin sot poll

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Married for the second time to another Thai. Did not pay sin sot on either one, but the second wife has a 4 bedroom 2 bath house built and paid for on about 7 rai of land 45 minutes from Korat. Does that count as sin sot?

awls,

Close enough I'd say. :D Sin sot takes many forms I think, and can even be explained in ways other than 'Here's some money and gold.' to the prospective in-laws I think. How did you get around the sin sot yourself in both of the marriages? Was it brought up and discussed? Were there any problems, face issues, hard feelings, etc.? Just would like to hear as many peoples take and experiences on the subject as possible. It's always good to hear peoples experiences here.

Cent

In my case it was the gf who spoke with her mother about the money and agreed 100K baht, but as there was a cousin who had married just a month earlier and had been given 75k by a thai guy it was felt that as a farang I should double that amount, (there is great rivalry between the two families) so on the day of the wedding my gf added 50K of her own money + my 100k which was publicly handed hover to great applause at the wedding ceremony.

We also received 30k from guests as gifts which surprised me as I did'nt realise thats hows its done and the amount was large considering they were mainly rice farmers.

The money was used immediately to buy 10 rai of land from one of the guests.

Fo those guys whose marriages last less than a year and had paid a sinsot, was a refund available?(I'm pretty sure thats a daft question but just interested to know if it ever happened)Maybe there should a money back guaruntee provision. ::

JP

> About half pay it, and about half did not pay it. Could

> this be a newer trend? Or has this been the case all along?

Possibly, but I think the main divide is the background of the girl and her family, no to mention the amount of BS a Western guy is currently willing to put up with. I think it's less common for the middle classes, and indeed a new trend would be that there's just more of those middle classes compared to 20 years ago!

• 1 month later...

I did not get taken and am very happy with the sin sot I paid.For the 90kTHB it paid for the entire thing.Engagment and wedding ceramony's 2 day's of partying for the mo ban,rental of clothes for wife and I,rental of tables,chairs and bowls ,spoons from Wat.Anything and everything for the wedding.I'm not kidding!Any moneys that wher given to us at the end in envelopes we just gave to her oldes brother.Both of her parents have passed onto another life.She lived with her elder brother and family.Oh, 34yr old "virgan"rice farmer girl goes to Wat almost every day.

Maybe those who did not pay were mostly married to BG's with kids who were married before making sin sott less likely.

I paid 100,000 but all the wedding expenses came out of that and the wife paid for her and my wedding clothes, flowers and my ring. The idea that it is going out of fashion would be welcome by two thais I know, both are paying 200,000 with 10 baht of gold. They have both had to put off the weddings while they get more cash together. They would be highly offended if somebody suggested they were being 'taken' or scammed. Falangs worry about this issue too much, after all it's not as much as many spend on one holiday is it, not much to spend on the woman you love.

Archived