The sin sot poll

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nor muslim community but how many guys here are married to christians or muslims? I only know stickman and the local waiter who married a christians and a bloke I met in Bkk last month married to a muslim.

Id of thought those marrying Bar Girls were more likely to pay a SinSot. i.e. coming froma poorer background they would need it. Also the girl cannot work bar anymore so a one off hit to the family might be needed.

Pesonaly I did not pay for a Sin Sot.

I paid 250,000 because her old boyfriend came out of the woodwork and offered 240,000 when he heard she was being respected by another man. Wife's mother told her to marry me because I respected her and her poor family whereas, the old Thai boyfriend did not. They paid for the wedding out of that amount which was slightly over 100,000 Baht.

Plus I made a deal with them that if the guests contributed more than 100,000 Baht (family's estimate), I would split everything over 100,000 with them but if the guests contributed less than 100,000 they would pay back half the difference below 100,000. Share in the prosperity and shortcomings. We were well short of 100,000 and I made them pay up. This set the stage that I was fair but not a push-over.

We all get along very very well.

Be firm but fair in your negotiations. In the end everyone will be friends.

Hello Noi,

Kow Jai, but do you Kow Jai that two cultures are marrying and Thai culture does not necessarily have priority?

There are other ways of doing things other than Thai way.

Is it ok for me to expect her parents to pay for our wedding in my country since this is the tradition in my country?

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand and my Thai wife but the world doesn't revolve around one country or one culture, especially in a multi-cultural marriage.

Kob Khun Krup!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

Sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked a million times before but is sin sot ONLY paid at the wedding or is it sometimes paid at the closest thing to an "engagement" that appears to happen in Thailand? I know they dont really have an engagement as in west but if a big party is being given for that would anyone pay it then?

Thanks a lot.

Tas

Yes sin sod is for the buddhist traditional 'engagement' often held in the morning while the party/reception is held in the evening.

At engagement among other things permission is given from the brides parents to take her daughter as bride against a moderate fee i.e. sin sod handed over ;)

Used2btrfly said:

Hello Noi,

Kow Jai, but do you Kow Jai that two cultures are marrying and Thai culture does not necessarily have priority?

There are other ways of doing things other than Thai way.

Is it ok for me to expect her parents to pay for our wedding in my country since this is the tradition in my country?

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand and my Thai wife but the world doesn't revolve around one country or one culture, especially in a multi-cultural marriage.

Kob Khun Krup!

Too right, and many guys forget this, backing down to the "culture" (read robbery) of the Thais.

Don't get me wrong either, I live here and love the place and have a Thai girlfriend but I expect our relationship to encompass a mixture of both our cultures, one not being more important than another. If she tried to force too much on me, bye, bye, next.

Sinsot ? only for show. No way I'd hand over a bean but I would help if required. Even then, only help relative to needs and if other children contributed. If no-one else chipped in, I would refuse.

why not? what's the difference if it includes costs of all the wedding celebrations and you get all or most of it back. I see stick person says this week it makes him 'cringe' when guys say the wedding costs came out of the sin sott as this does not account for the envelope money. Depends how stingy the guest are, as most people seem to think thai's are all out to rob us and each other it's amazing this ever amounts to much at all. Why bother paying for the wedding at all, let the woman pay if you don't want to feel you are being taken advantage of.

Looking at weddings in the profit and loss way is a bit sad when you consider that by the time most guys get married they have likey spent tens of thousands on sex holidays, yet choke at the prospect of shelling out a relatively small amount to make a partner for life happy. In my case I did pay 200.000, got half back the same day with about half of the rest going to pay the wedding. Envelopes only enough to pay for the drinks. So the family were left with a fair bit, then again they did give us land worth more than what was left so I don't think there was any scheming, grasping or robbing going on. I know a thai teacher who just got married and the loans he had to take out means he's left with less than 2000 baht a month to live on, falangs have it easy ::

Archived