Vientine Restraunt Pattaya

cactus

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Accomodation thread on New Mercure Pattaya I said:

"Vientiane was knocked down the end of March I think it was. There's so much ripping and tearing going on here it's really hard to keep track of what's happening construction wise. It relocated quite a way down Walking St. on the water side just across from the Nang Nual restaurant. I'm told menu and prices are the same but it no longer has the ambience of old."

To add to that, it's toward the far end of Walking Street past Tony's and the Nang Nual Restaurant (which is on the corner of Soi 16) and then down a bit more on the right in the Julie Hotel Complex. But it's before you reach the Windy Inn and Siam Bayshore.

BTW, if you turned left on Soi 16 on the right hand side was a row of open air art galleries. I say was because they're gone :o Gone to make way for GO-GOs & BEER BARS :wave::spin::wave: Construction is underway and reports are that all 8 Go Go's have been leased as well as 6 of the 16 BBs.

-redwood

Redwood13 snip:

"To add to that, it's toward the far end of Walking Street past Tony's and the Nang Nual Restaurant (which is on the corner of Soi 16) and then down a bit more on the right in the Julie Hotel Complex. But it's before you reach the Windy Inn and Siam Bayshore."

@@> years ago when i stayed at the Siam Bayshore, I skipped their ABF, Alhough quite good, and opted to nosh @ the Windy Inn in their al fresco bar/restaurant. A killer kow tom was made by the female cook which helped cure the throbing and cleared the sinuses.

:) The eclectic falang that inhabited the Windy stays with me. The curmugeons (sp?) would santer across the rd. from the hotel to the restaurant and, not uttering a word, by eye contact and a head bob, have the cook start preparing their standard breakfast fare. Their faces were then buried in the newspaper of choice. Even when with a tgf. The Windy restaurant was right next to the beach, and the cool gulf air and general ambience made it a favorite for me. I reckon so.

• 3 months later...

Do not visit Vientiane without a trustworthy Thai, who can read the bill in Thai, otherwise you might be victim of a typical scam - topping up the bill:

We visited Vientiane on 2 subsequent days, the first day the service was terrible. The food was very good, but the drinks and the rice came far to late. When leaving the bad attitude went on : they stood not up to wai us, but remained seated, acc. to my friend a big insult.

Nevertheless, because of the great seafood selection, we decided to return to Vientiane on the next evening. The service started as bad as the day before - haha, quite interesting, when a small Bangkok girl is getting angry and assumes the command and lets them jump. (I would never have thought to behave as she did, just to keep my face and show "djai jen" :-)

Luckily I was not alone there: upon "check bin khap" I got a bill of 1950 baht, she controlled it and they had added numerous cocktails, beers and so on: in the end the bill was 1450 baht, that means, they topped it up by more then 30% ! :( :: ::

• 3 weeks later...

The old Vientianne Restaurant on Second Rd. was quite decent. Unfortunately, we ate at the new one on Walking Street last week. It was very attractive and the water views were nice. The food however, was not good and very over priced. I'd have to say that this place sucks, and is a must-avoid tourist trap!

There are better restaurants on the water on Walking Street ... the name of my favorite escapes me at the moment.

Yesterday afternoon we had a late lunch at the Fishing Park "3" restaurant on Third Road ... on the East side between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Nua. The Thai food here was excellent, maybe the best we've had in Pattaya; and, prices were very reasonable. They have music which starts at 6 pm. One can rent a rod and reel for 40 Bt./day! Just as we were leaving, a German gent landed a 30 pound 'something' ... my wife couldn't tell me the name of the fish, but did assure me that it was quite delicious. Next time, I'll have to try my luck fishing here. The place is big with plenty of parking and it is very well managed. The staff is congenial and very attentive ... and, the food. Well, try it ... you'll be pleasantly surprised. This is how Thai food should be.

Archived