Worlds's Best Cities: Bangkok 2., Chang Mai 5.

kamui

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kamui said:

Actually I was surprised about the ranking of Bangkok. IMHO Tokyo is much more interesting (architecture, arts, clubs, concerts, e.g), but of course it doesn't have that kind of nightlife for western males. :hubba:

My mate has just come back from Tokyo and I can assure you it cetainly does....IF you know where to look that is. A lot of places though will only cater for Japanese plus its bloody expensive.

to me the best places are where you would tell your Mothers civic group would be a good place to vacation, And I would not pick Bangkok,

but maybe the tour groups see a cleaner side of BKK :)

If you are in your air-conditioned tour bus going between sites you would not get the feel of the insanity of BKK,

Tour bus to WAT , look around , eat at approved "westernized" resturants , Tour bus to museum , Tour bus back to front door of Hotel, and eat dinner in Hotel,

To many people thats what they see of any city they take a tour group trip with !

Lazyphil, all the native Seattle residents have been complaining about the transplanted Californians who have bought up the good houses and sent housing prices skyrocketing there. Nice city, rains a bit too much for my tastes but its nice.

chelseafan said:
kamui said:

Actually I was surprised about the ranking of Bangkok. IMHO Tokyo is much more interesting (architecture, arts, clubs, concerts, e.g), but of course it doesn't have that kind of nightlife for western males. :hubba:

My mate has just come back from Tokyo and I can assure you it cetainly does....IF you know where to look that is. A lot of places though will only cater for Japanese plus its bloody expensive.

I know Chelseafan. Actually the sex industry in Tokyo is huge, but as you already said, many places are off limit for foreigners and you can spend easily a few hundreds bucks for a girl. It really would surprise me if there are any people who are going to Japan, because of the sex scene. ::

Anyway, on Monday I will go to Tokyo for three weeks. ::

Guys,

Let not get carried away by misrepresented labels...How many times do you see around any town advertisements like the city's best mexican food, the best hospital, the country's best hotel, etc...

It is common practice unless that city or state has regulations against false or misleading advertisement..

This article is just an opinion poll of vactioners and travellers and by all accounts is not in any way compared and contrasted criteria in rating and ranking cities....

There are in fact organizations out there and respected ones as well as illegite ones who do this for a living...

Recently, there was a spread about the most livable/quality of life big cities in the world in the BKK Post. BKK was either 106 or 110 out of over 200 plus cites. It was measure on and against a number of specific criteria both positive and negative. This would be considered a study not just an opinion poll.....

Remember the above survey was just an opinion poll of a bunch of travellers. It would contain heaps of biases, perceptions, mistakes and errors of all kinds, if one would be comparing it against properly conducted studies...

In my opinion and perception which could be just as wrong as this survey, BKK would rank about average in both a touirist spot and a place one calls home...

CB

That list is no different than a People magazine "50 Most Beautiful People" issue put out every year. Nothing more than a marketing tool to get folks to buy the magazine and jack up advertising rates.

You know the magazine is full of shit and totally lacking credibility if I am not on the list every year!

Archived