Embassy Chaos

Zaad

Hi,

Went to the Dutch Embassy this week with my girl to apply for a tourist visa and all went well except for one thing. THE QUEUE - which is nowhere to be found.

I remember 'the good old times' when everybody rushed in at 9 am when doors opened and one of the guards gave numbers to the first one ..or shall I say closest to him.. but this week was different.

People rushed in and to my surprise no guard who usually controls the cattle and avoids a stampede. Fuck, everybody was slamming on the 'number machine' (whatever that thing is called) and trying to squeeze in front to pull others' numbers. CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The people should know better and especially the staff at the Dutch Embassy. (I'm refering to the Dutch because the Thais don't know better - pun intended) A SHAME I have to experience such crap at a place where I need to apply for a visa to The Netherlands. I'm disgusted, really, it's not a fucking midnight sale at the local market, is it?

Guys, does this happen at your embassies? Not that I would condone it if it does, just curious to know if other embassies take the effort to control the situation and keeps things CIVILISED.

Will write a polite but firm complaint to the embassy later this week when I have more time. It just can't go on like this.

I'd write your ambassador. That's what he/she gets paid for. That shouldn't happen at a Western embassy.

Recently I had to go to the US Embassy to renew my passport. It was like all the other times (except one noticeable one) where I come out impressed by the professionalism and efficiency of staff (have yet to try to get a visa for a Thai national though :) )

Took all of 15 minutes. 5 minutes of that waiting to get in at the front door.

<<burp>>

Zaad,

Sorry to hear this.

But did you obtain the visa at all ?

Dont write the ambassador, he has nothing to do with this, try the consul, he/she is in charge of visas.

This does not happen at the Belgian embassy at all, then again, smaller country and less visa applicants :dunno:

Maybe you came on a bad day ?

BB

Guest lazyphil

<<Guys, does this happen at your embassies? >>

British Embassy in bkk was organised of sorts, was a queue and not the most friendly of staff. As for the United States embassy in London, well, highly organised, what went on beyond the front door I dont know as I wasn't allowed in with the mrs but she said everyone kept calling her Mam, very polite. Never seen so many machine gun totting Met police in one area patrolling the perimeter, now there must be a whole double decker bus load of them, unfortuantly :(....I cant see much point complaining but it might make you feel better, it would me, I have it down to an artform bitching and moaning!

The U.S. Emabassy's Citizens Services unit has little in the way of formal structure as far as I can discern, but visitors (Thai and American, and others) line up in a single line to be dealt with in turn. That didn't keep one bumvbling farang (me )from dundering to an open window in front of the line, though.

But did you obtain the visa at all ?

Seems like it, haven't heard anything and will call tomorrow. Don't expect any problems.

Nothing to complain about the staff (this time :) ) just the numbered queueing system thingy was a major headache.

Still managed come in 2nd. though ::

Maybe you came on a bad day ?

Hope so, but even the old system (+ guard) is a joke since people still rush in and try to get in front of others etc.

I remember once when the numbered tickets were given outside upon entering the gates into the embassy area. At least no midnight sale occurances with such system.

This does not happen at the Belgian embassy at all, then again, smaller country and less visa applicants :dunno:

Possibly, no idea. Although I do know quite a few Thais who're in one way or another connected to Belgium, either Belgium friends/family or study purposes (especially those studying in a medical field)

I cant see much point complaining but it might make you feel better, it would me, I have it down to an artform bitching and moaning!

It'll definitely make me feel better, and it might even result in an actual change, I'd take that as a bonus. :)

Now if all the Dutchies on this board throw in a few more complaints than we might actually have realistic chance to see a better (civilised) system in our embassy. I'm sure I'll need to go there numerous times in the future to deal with other matters and I'm really in no mood to experience the same thing over and over again.

If you make a complaint (after you get the visa :D) I suggest you should mention something about the situation also causing "Security Concerns" to you dutchies and maybe also suggesting that you could well raise the issue back in the Netherlands - IMHO ain't no civil servant wants to put his job on the line (especially a cushy posting in BKK) for being seen to ignore "security concerns"........ especially over something so simple.

rickfarang said:

The U.S. Emabassy's Citizens Services unit has little in the way of formal structure as far as I can discern, but visitors (Thai and American, and others) line up in a single line to be dealt with in turn. That didn't keep one bumvbling farang (me )from dundering to an open window in front of the line, though.

In Bangkok? Once in the front door, there are actually two sections. One for citizens and another for everyone else. The line for everyone else is almost always extremely long. The window for Citizens has always been 0-3 people deep whenever I've been there.

Though I did notice the arrows on the floor are now gone and the signs are small regarding the direction US citizens should follow so it isn't obvious anymore.

<<burp>>

Archived