Teacher head batted by bar owner!

Neo

MaiLuk,

I somehow stayed away from this discussion while having shared feeling. But your post seems very balanced with a lot of good points I agree with. Thanks for summing it up that clearly!

Note though I'm in favour of legalisation of all drugs and definetely don't support all those drug wars, be them thai or american

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What shocks me most about threads like this one is how some farang will defend Thai behavior no matter what.

Yes, Thailand is a violent place, at least potentially violent, in a very different way than Western countries. It doesn't take much to provoke violence here, for reasons astutely stated by several posters.

The comparison to inner city Detroit is right, in that it too seems unaffected by a few millenia of civilization during which we discovered a concept of non-violent conflict resolution. The comparison to inner city Detroit also highlights the fact that comparison cannot be made to a Western country as a whole, but only to one of it's pockets of depravity.

What I find shocking is that it almost seems to be in vogue these days to defend and justify Thai violence.

Suppose a Thai went for a stroll in the inner city Detroit and got sent to an ICU because he's wearing wrong color jacket. Would the same guys argue that it was his fault and he got what was coming to him because he was dissing the homeboys?

• 3 years later...

'Not sure how many the cops here (USA) shoot a year...I know a lot of suspects "fall down the stairs" as well as "commit suicide" in custody... probably more than 2000 a year...'

How do they classify the suspects that fall down the stairs, get back up, than jump through the windows ? Those vicious criminals have no limit in their efforts to discredit the police.

Archived