another Tsunami warning

samak

this came just 5 minutes ago from CNN

Tsunami warning issued for Indian Ocean

Sunday, July 24, 2005 Posted: 1640 GMT (0040 HKT)

(CNN) -- A tsunami warning has been issued for the Indian Ocean, sparked by an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 located in the Nicobar Islands, India, the Japan Meteorological Agency said Sunday.

"There is a possibility of a destructive local tsunami in the Indian Ocean," the agency said in a written statement about the earthquake, which struck at 12:02 p.m. ET.

In an hour or less, a tsunami could hit all coasts of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands of India and, in Indonesia, the Indian Ocean coast and Malacca coast of Sumatra.

The U.S. Geologic Survey measured the quake at a preliminary 7.0 magnitude and said it was centered about 690 miles southwest of Bangkok.

I've got a widget that tracks earth quake events and the Nicobar Island one is 7.2 and 10 km ( I assume that means deep) and 24 July at 15:42 (my time).

It's now 25 July and 11:07 (my time) some 19 or so hours later, so any danger looks to be past.

Surprisingly this widget reported about 14 events on the 23rd all above 4 on the scale and from all over the world, like Utah and Kermadec Islands in NZ.

Relatively common phnenomena these.

Cheers

Coss

anybody in Phuket last night?

i heard that people were again running away from the beach, as i recall that was the third time after the Tsunami.

if Thailand issue a Tsunami warning after each >7.0 earthquake in the Indian Ocean, there will be many runs in the future!

limbo said:

Wonder how many warnings they issue before they stop warning and that will be the other one, Cry wolf.

Yes you are right better to warn instead not; and running is good for all Patpong

beerbellys which hanging lazy in the sun.

Archived