Anyone familiar with hotels management?

drogon

• 1 month later...

My experience is that ex-pats only get hired for upper management postions in Thai hotels, wether affiliated with a major brand or not.

There is the possibility of being hired as an intern, but that will only give you several months of work.

I wouldn't consider taking a job in LOS for less than 100k THB.

Cheers,

Saucier.

When I was in publishing, I met a Thai couple who had studied hotel management in the UK. They got married there and worked in the industry to get some experience. Then they came back to Thailand and applied for positions at 5-star hotels. The salary offers they got shocked them.

I think it was the Royal Orchid Sheraton that offered the husband a fairly major position -- at about 1/8th of what his Farang counterpart would be making! When he protested, he was told that the hotels have seperate pay scales for Thais and expats. The couple was told that if they wanted to make decent money, they would have to work outside of Thailand. They decided instead to stay here and open a high class Thai restaurant in an old home.

• 2 weeks later...

ex pat mgrs make good money .. in addition to the salary which can be good, they get either an apt in the hotel or one paid for by the company..

if you are serious about getting to Bkk/Thailand, then get a job with one of the big international five star hotels (Hilton/Four Seasons/Sheraton/Marriott, etc) and then work hard and make it will known that you want to end up in SE Asia.

Keep in mind that even if you get to Bkk, you may not be able to stay there.. often they move people around every 3-5 years or so .. depends on the hotel chain.

It can be a very good living, but keep in mind that it is no where near being a 40 hour week.. you live in the hotel .. and days of 12-15 hours are not uncommon ..

Except for top General Managers of International Properties, salaries are usually only about 1/8 to 1/10 of what one would earn in the west. And that is probably still 4-10 times what a local would earn for the same job. And as mentioned it is not a job, but a 24/7 lifestyle.

Archived