Thai superstions

saucier01

Wife just reminded me of one. I just moved into a new place. Wife made sure that the first thing brought in were new bottles of cooking oil and fish sauce, and bags of rice & sugar.

I'm sure you can whip up a great meal with cooking oil, rice, fish sauce and sugar...

:hubba:

p.s. Years ago I asked my uni students up north about superstitions. They gave me enough that I later did a write up for The Bangkok Post. I tried asking my students the same question in Bangkok. Turned out the Bangkok kids didn't know fork all about Thai superstitions!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Never get a haircut on a Wednesday."

A friend owned a beauty salon in Bangkok för more than 20 years, she's from Hat Yai and she never had heard this. Wednesdays never gave less income than other days. She said that this must be from up north.

Cent, a cat was considered enough, but personally I think a mother-in-law was better........ :neener:

elef

'Wife just reminded me of one. I just moved into a new place. Wife made sure that the first thing brought in were new bottles of cooking oil and fish sauce, and bags of rice & sugar. She says that her Mom taught her that this would ensure prosperity'

'I have seen Filipinas do the same thing'

thought i would get the info from the horses mouth ans asked 6 Filipinos during the Night about this.

they all said that it was a custom among the superstitious People and the house would be 'blessed' if everyday items are bought in.

but they did tell me that as the Years go by many of the younger Filipinos are forgetting the old customs.

I first heard the 'no haircuts on Wednesday" superstition over 30 years ago. No one could really tell me why. It just was. Barber shops simply closed on Wednesday, since they would get no business anyway..

But in recent years I've noticed most barber shops and hair dressers are working on Wednesday as if it were any other day. Looks like the old belief is dying out, at least in the cities.

Archived