My liver

Azmit

I've have a mild case of cronic pancreatitus (inflamation of the pancreas), which is probably genetic, but had been brought on and is agrivated by drinking alcohol. I've probably averaged 3-4 drinks a day most of my adult life.

I had my first attack about 2 1/2 years ago, an soon learned that I would have to moderate or quit alcohol consumption especially with large meals, or face progressive degredation of my pancreas.

I have chosen to moderate, and for me it has not been that difficult. I had been wanting to cut down my drinking anyway and this gave me a good reason. For you it may not be so easy - it's highly individual, and heavily genetically influenced.

See what you can do yourself before you seek any professional help and probably get labeled as an alcoholic with all the dogma that goes along with it. Have a look at www.moderation.org too.

I now abstain from drinking alcohol during the day, and with meals. When I drink I alternate my alcholic drinks with non-alcholic ones (soda water, orange juice, sprite) or drink whisky thai-style (so diluted with soda it's practically clear). There are plenty of non-alcoholic drinks besides 'lady-drinks' at the bars. Funny thing is that since I started drinking less, I find that I enjoy it less too.

Good luck to you.

quote:

Originally posted by Azmit Gom:

What were your transaminases (SGOT and SGPT) levels anyways???

I checked levels on enzymes, and yes they are too high (42 and 69 U/l),

Ahh not really significant. You levels are just alittle high, almost normal. Should not do any long term damage. Just try and find out the reason to try and advoic further damage. I would not lose any sleep over it. #'s in the 100-1000's are where you really have to worry.

Archived