My liver

Azmit

Damn ! I land in Bangkok in a week's time and my doctor tells me my liver is in bad shape, I should cut down on alcohol, butter, shellfish, chicken skin...

I tried to bargain and proposed to stop eating butter (that was plain cheating, cause I cook with olive oil anyway). No way. Alcohol.

Aaaargl ! I realize I've been drinking for years every day, I cannot remember the last day without !

I'm not often drunk (and never that drunk), but I have my couple of beers with lunch, an evening aperitif and more than half a bottle of red wine with dinner. Much more if I have dinner with friends, or if I go out (beers or cuba libre) which happen at least twice a week.

Suddenly I realize I'm scared not being able to stop or reduce alcohol...

Besides, what will I drink in go-go's, lady drinks ?

So, how much do you drink ?

Did any body succeed in reducing consumption and stick to it ?

quote:

Originally posted by Azmit Gom:

I'm not often drunk (and never that drunk), but I have my couple of beers with lunch, an evening aperitif and more than half a bottle of red wine with dinner. Much more if I have dinner with friends, or if I go out (beers or cuba libre) which happen at least twice a week.

Reminds me of the Danish public information poster that was urging men not to drink more than 35 bottles of beer in a week. I suspect you are over that limit. Back home 7 beers a week is considered the upper limit of moderate drinking...

quote:

Besides, what will I drink in go-go's, lady drinks ?

I admit I have not been able to figure that out. If I drink even just beer all the time, I will get too soaked towards the closing time, but I really don't like drinking the sweet cola, either. Next time around I'll have to try and ask, if they have club soda available, although it is not listed. I'm afraid that they don't.

quote:

So, how much do you drink ?

Did any body succeed in reducing consumption and stick to it ?

I used to drink 0.5-1.0 litres of beer a day and more when I went out to party.

Unfortunately my tolerance to alcohol seems to be getting worse over the years, and on my last trip to Thailand I realised that I was getting too drunk and did not feel that good afterwards, either.

So I have been holding back for a few weeks now. No alcohol most of the days and max. 2-3 beers or glasses of wine two days in a week. Initially it was pretty hard, actually. I was surprised to realise how fixated I had become upon the nice warm glow you will have a bit after your first beer... I found that drinking a lot of hot tea helped. It seemed to be an adequate substitute of beer for the slow sipping kind of consumption in which I had indulged when relaxing at home after work.

Now it is more easy, and I seem to be feeling quite a bit better physically, too.

Wagner

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Wagner Svinja ]

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

[QB]Dec 2000 I walked into Phayathai Hospital with some stomach problems after some tests they found my "liver enzymes" were up. So I basically cut out drinking for the last year. Well here I am a year later and the levels are near normal. But last week I went to a different doctor and he suggested the increase in enzymes were from a higher cholesterol level adn not beer. What were your transaminases (SGOT and SGPT) levels anyways???

Might as well try and stay off beer for a few years and thentake it easy for the rest of your life. If you continue to drink, you will increase his chances of serious liver damage including cirrhosis, liver failure and death.

For me I stick mainly with the Coke and OJ. It has affected my outlook on BG and my frequency in the bars but hey that is not a bad thing

If you want send me a PM and I can give you some advice

WYD

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: whosyourdaddy ]

A lot of times I stick with Nam soda, I don't like to get to drunk and lose what little sense I have left, unless I am with a girl I know and trust. My "girlfriends" don't like me getting to drunk anyway, so if I am out with them, I have to hold off. I agree, sweet stuff like colas can be annoying after awhile.

I occassionally stop drinking for a few weeks. I generally order Soda Manao. (Lemon Soda) it's very refreshing. If you dont like it sweet say mai sai Nam Dtan (No Sugar) mae sure they understand it's Nam Dtan cos of the noise levels in the bars sometimes all they hear is the nam portion and assume your going to say Nam Kheang (ice)

If they say they don't have it order Nam Soda sai Manao chin yer (Soda water put in loads of slices of lime)

whosyourdaddy,

quote:

What were your transaminases (SGOT and SGPT) levels anyways???

I checked levels on enzymes, and yes they are too high (42 and 69 U/l), apparently there is a link anyway between liver and cholesterol (said my doctor). I'll call him on monday, also to undersand the exact effect of shell fish, butter , and chicken skin (I roasted a duck yesterday but I guess it's even worse. But the skin is sooo tasty...).

I'm not unhappy to drink more water than before.

Nam soda and soda manao are good suggestions...I don't think Coca-cola is much better for the health than beer anyway.

Bars and beers kinda go together, grab a girl quick and stick with her away from the scene. It's incredibly hot now, more so when you arrive and it's going to be hard to turn down that ice-cold beer...

Archived