Hotel Prices - December

Dumsoda

When I'm in town solo I usually stay at Majestic Suites, but when I'm with the wife we normally take a deluxe room at Tai Pan. Always found it to be very good value and the deluxe rooms quite spacious and comfortable

Last few stays, I have always booked via the net and have paid 1600 - 1700 Baht including ABF (I think the walk in rate was approx. 2300Bt)

Yesterday I started checking booking sites for upcoming December trip (I know, it's still 4 months away, but been back nearly 3 weeks now and starting to count days already!!)

WTF !! Booking sites are now showing Tai Pan quoting 3000 Baht for a deluxe room after November 2005.

Out far can rageous, there is NO WAY it's worth that price.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something here??? Have they refurbished using gold leaf?? Does this price now include a ST with Miss Thailand??

I cannot believe it. Does anyone have any info???

What's more the sites I checked also had a bold rider stating... Guests must register 2 names when signing in for a double room. Overnight guests are not welcome (One site quoted a joiner fee of 600 Baht and another stated that there would be an additional charge of 4000 Baht for a Thai to stay in the Hotel. (This will not affect me, as I'm travelling with my wife BUT......???)

Glad now, that I started looking so early. Tai Pan is most definitely OFF the list. They can shove their Hotel where the sun don't shine!!!

This leaves me with an issue to address. As a creature of habit, I almost always use the same places (provided of course that I have been happy with that establishment)

Anyone got suggestions of where to stay in the 1600 - 2000Bt range, bearing in mind the missus will be with me.

Guess I could take Superior room at Majestic, but would like to keep things separated if possible, just never know who you may bump into in the Lobby!!

Appreciate any help or suggestions you can give.

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer:

Hi,

some hotels are full every year from for christmas over the new year. Before leaving the guests book the same time next year.

An example - here Sabai Lodge Superior A

20 Dec - 10 Jan

1650 baht

Peak season periods conditions : Minimum 4 (Four) consecutive nights compulsory stay for check in during 24 December ? 2 January.

1 Nov - 19 Dec

11 Jan - 31 Mar

1350 baht

1 April - 31 Oct

1150 baht

web page

But no compulsory dinner at least! :)

It's an economic fact of life - when demand outstrips supply, prices will go up. Doesn't matter if you're talking oil, gold, hotel rooms or pussy, the principle is the same. Probably some tour organizers are shifting winter holiday groups to Pattaya because of the "bad aasocuation" of last year's tsunami with Phuket. Also, Thailand - Pattaya in particular - is continuing to grow as a popular destination for the younger male European party crowd, which puts pressure on the availability of hotel rooms.

"WTF !! Booking sites are now showing Tai Pan quoting 3000 Baht for a deluxe room after November 2005.

Out far can rageous, there is NO WAY it's worth that price.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something here??? Have they refurbished using gold leaf?? Does this price now include a ST with Miss Thailand??

I cannot believe it. Does anyone have any info???"

PR>> I've stated at the Tai-Pan many times over the years. I like the hotel and location a lot. Always paid under BI900 for a deluxe room. No high-low season pricing. Now, as of November, the internet booking sites are quoting B3000+ for the deluxe room. Rediculous! A 70% increase. Yes, WTF. The Tai-Pan is off my radar screen.

:(

I think I will try the Regency Park on Soi22 across from Washington SQ. Anyone familiar with their lodgings?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for starters... The Nana in Bangkok is getting B1100 per night from me during 12/27/05 through 01/01/06. IN pattaya, the Sawasdee Sea View Wing B on Soi 10 is clipping me for B900. (most are B1500 and higher). IN addition, many are charging for "gala dinner", which I"m told is customary gouging practice during this peak season.

Pat,

Nana has been this price since JC cruised into town on a donkey looking for a room !!! same same...no change...nothing changes at the Nana....still everyone should experience it (once!!)

Don't know about your Pattaya choice, never stayed there, but given the latest moves, 900 is fairly bottom end.

Gala dinners are "normal" for both Xmas eve & NY Eve in many places, other places just increase the tarrif from around 24 Dec - 5 Jan, usually works out around the same.

Enjoy your visit. How many sleeps to go now?????

?Nana has been this price since JC cruised into town on a donkey looking for a room !!! same same...no change...nothing changes at the Nana....?

Sorry Pat, I beg to differ. Room prices have increased at the Nana as they have everywhere else. For instance, I?ll be paying 1050B this December and it wasn?t all that many years ago I was paying a little over 700B a night sans breakfast. Also, there was never a cover charge in the Nana Disco until several years ago (BTW, the disco has really gone downhill since).

As far as those compulsory dinners for Christmas and New Year?s Eve ? these are mostly limited to hotels in the very seasonal resort areas like Phuket and Pattaya. And, yes, in every instance I?ve heard of they are ALWAYS a ripoff. That?s why I never stay in hotels which have these policies. Most hotels offer some kind of optional gala dinners for these holidays, but compulsory ? bend over or forget it...

ST

short-time said:

?Nana has been this price since JC cruised into town on a donkey looking for a room !!! same same...no change...nothing changes at the Nana....?

Sorry Pat, I beg to differ. Room prices have increased at the Nana as they have everywhere else. For instance, I?ll be paying 1050B this December and it wasn?t all that many years ago I was paying a little over 700B a night sans breakfast.

ST

short-time,

It was me who said the Nana hadn't changed, so I should clarify.

last time I stayed there was 10 years ago and I was calculating in my head conveerting to OZ $

That time I booked from Oz and pais AUD$35 per night. (pre Internet) Conversion rate then approx. $1 = 17 baht, so yes approx 600 Baht would be right. Now at 1100, I converted at 1: 31 and came up with $35.

Guys, sorry I screwed up. I guess in a way it's same same...but different and I was looking at this against my original post regarding the Tai Pan increasing by 75% in 2 years.

Archived