Latest info for renewing a US passport?

Flashermac said:

They post the thing to the States, but it comes back saying it was issued in Bangkok.

That's the only thing I have a problem with. My passport doesn't say where it was issued like my old passport. For the Authority, it just says, "United States Department of State".

I'm now thinking of creative things to write in on the Arrival/Departure cards!

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

That's the only thing I have a problem with. My passport doesn't say where it was issued like my old passport. For the Authority, it just says, "United States Department of State".

I'm now thinking of creative things to write in on the Arrival/Departure cards!

Hmmmm. That sucks. I want it to say Bangkok! Oh well. As for what to put on arrival/departure cards, I only ever put "USA" in those boxes anyway, not the city. Never had any immigration officer in any country say anything about it.

Cheers,

SD

I could have sworn that there's some new thing where they only give you a "temporary" passport good for one year, when you renew outside of the US. Maybe if you genuinely have residence outside the US they waive that and will issue you a "standard" one with 10 year validity?

When I was in the Peace Corps, I had to get a "special passport". Looked exactly like any other US passport, except that it said State Department in it. That used to cause all sorts of problems. It obviously wasn't a diplomatic passport, so the visa folks at other countries used to scatch their heads in puzzlement. I remember the fella in Frankfurt looking through a book of known terrorists! Maybe he thought I was banned or something by the US government???

:o

p.s. Oddly enough, in the 1970s the Thai passport was in Thai and French. By the late '80s, it had changed to Thai and English.

I believe the temporary passport is for those that have had their passport stolen or have lost it. I think it is issued at the embassy, not in the US. It allows you to go back to the states and apply for a permanent one and is valid for one entry back into the states.

They may have changed the procedure, issuing temporary passport, now. I lost my passport when I was in China 4 years ago. I got my new passport issued by the US Counselate there. I had all the necessary documents to prove my citizenship and got it the same day. However, it was only for 1 year and needed to have it extended when I returned to US.

• 4 weeks later...

All done. I turned it in Sept 6th, passport is dated Sept 7th, I picked it up today (they said two weeks) at 10:30AM. I went to Suan Phlu for a totally painless transfer of visa/entry stamp. I then went to MBK to pick up some printing I had done. I then went to Emporium for lunch. Sat down at the restaraunt there at 12:05.

Unbelieveable! :up: :up: :up:

Cheers,

SD

Archived