ATMs In Phnom Penh WORK NOW!

Just an update for all of you coming over this way for a junket. ANZ Royal bank now has 4 branches in Phnom Penh that accept International ATMs. They expect to open branches in Siem Reap and Sihanoukville by the end of the year.

The ATMs are available 24/7 and have security guards on site.

And all the girls are adding a new word to their vocabulary :roll:

But do they dispense riel or US$? Can you imagine lugging around a couple hundred bucks worth of riel? LOL!

Or have they made bigger denomination notes since I was there last (mid-90s)? Well, there were in theory 20K, 50K & 100K riel notes, but I never saw any notes greater than 10K at the time and those nobody would accept cuz they had no change.

So US$200 would be, what, 80 10K riel notes? LOL!

Cheers,

SD

I'm assuming that the ATM's give out $20. That just leaves me bringing a lot of $1 and $5 for tips. If this changes before January, please let me know, LH, otherwise I'll bring some dollars with me but count on the ATM's instead of TC's for my month's stay.

Dean.......... you start handing out 1s and 5s for tips and you will have a pack following you through town like dogs after the butcher wagon.

No need for bring small stuff, the US$ is the working currency here.

Just have your $20 bill for your tourist visa on arrival ($25 for the Business one)

Your point is well taken. I wasn't sure if change is given in dollars or riels, but it sounds like, for the most part, it is given in dollars. I guess that I'm just used to having a hard time getting change from a Bangkok taxi driver when I give him a 1,000 B bill. I've been reading various websites on Phnom Penh, including Cent's own website for 2 hours last night, and I think that I have a decent idea of what goes on in PP but I did find it interesting that Cent said in 2000 that if one wants to see PP before it becomes too much like Thailand/Bangkok, one should go soon. Have I waited too long?

Archived