Is this some kind of bad joke?

SiamIAm

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand is dishing out free cable television in its restive Muslim south in the hope that sports coverage such as English Premiership soccer will calm tensions in a region plagued by violence.

Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana told reporters on Tuesday an initial batch of 500 televisions would soon be installed at village tea shops so those who could not afford cable TV at home could all watch their favourite sports together.

"Televisions and sports will help liven up the region," said Kongsak, the fourth interior minister in less than two years to be faced with ending the unrest in which more than 800 people have been killed since January, 2004.

"Most children love watching sports on TV, but they can't afford that at home. So we are giving them what they love, hoping it can help solve the problem," said Kongsak, himself an avid golfer and a soccer player.

Buddhist Thailand has tried a range of measures to curb the violence in its three southernmost, Muslim-majority provinces, including lavish promises of development aid, martial law, and an airdrop of millions of paper birds.

None of them appear to have had any effect.

I didn;t think of that, how useful is a couch potatoe!

"OK Mimhood, your the next bomber, strap this on and blow yourself up"

"Err - sorry boos I can;t"

"WHY NOT???"

"Well, UBC's new series hasn;t finished and I want to know if Khun Nok will win!"

"Fair enough, no more bombing till the new series on UBC is over"

Seriously though, seems very odd!

MaiLuk said:

That is one of the most literal examples i've ever seen of a gov putting television to its highest and most effective use: take people who are thinking about what their gov is doing to them and convert them into potted plants.

Well, at least it's better than declearing "Gay Marriages" legal.

Or perhaps they should.

Nothing like breaking up a marriage you know. It could really backfire on them. Gay people would be screaming at how the goverment is taking away there loved ones. ...but it could become a supersecret goverment plot to kill 2 birds with one stone.

" Honey, today I must die by blowing up a bus. You can find another guy. "

I think that by approching the problem by winning over the youth is not a bad idea. Let the adults all kill themselves.

:scared:

Shit.

Today's Nation:

PM: Govt not involved in free-TV plan

Published on August 18, 2005

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday rebutted a statement by the Interior Ministry that the plan to install free cable television in the deep South was a government initiative.

Thaksin said the initiative came from the private sector in an effort to provide another educational outlet for young people in the restive South. The business sector would be entirely responsible for the cost of the project, he said.

Earlier this week, Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wantana proposed the plan to give away 500 to 1,000 televisions to people in the South in the hope

that watching English Premier League football games would reduce the violence in the South.

Several local groups remained sceptical about the effectiveness of the plan.

Suwat Jamjuree, president of the Faleeheen Pattani media group, said allowing only a sports channel would not be beneficial.

?Officials should allow programmes that teach the correct version of Islam as well as documentaries that depict life in the Muslim world and cultural diversity,? said Suwat.

Ismael Haji-Husen Nawawee, a member of the Yala Muslim Businessmen Club, said the free televisions should broadcast programmes that address the needs of locals. Monitoring of gambling and other vices must also be implemented, Ismael said.

It's a frightening, yet hopeful sign when the two most intelligent voices in this discussion are coming from the Muslim side.

Archived