Wasa knackerbrod

khunsanuk

Hi,

I'm having Wasa knackerbrod for breakfast :D

I really like crackers like this and had up until yesterday not been able to find any in Thailand with one exception, Kervita (I think). Those were just too damn expensive at 85 Baht for a pack of 5, so I never tried.

So imagine my delight to see Wasa in Tops yesterday, 5 different kinds (I'm having the sesame one). Still not cheap, but acceptable, 180 Baht for a pack of 20.

Sanuk!

Hi!

This is traditional Swedish hard bread. Wasa is probably the biggest brand. You can get it at most Swedish restaurants in Pattaya. I could always arrange to bring a lot when I come next time (it isn't heavy) if we can arrange to meet.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

Thanks, but won't it lose it crispiness after a while?

Not if it is kept in a dry environment. This kind of bread holds well for long periods of time. What can happen in Sweden is that it can get small bugs in it but they have to be there to begin with.

regards

ALHOLK

I wasn't surprised to find knackebrod in Phuket, given the number of Swedes who vacation there, but it did surprise me to see it on the breakfast buffet table at a hotel in Koh Samui. It seemed to be be very popular with the Germans and Dutch at the hotel (didn't notice any Scandinavians). My TG took one bite and spit it out, too much of a cultural shock. But sesame knackebrod with sliced boiled eggs and Kalles Kaviar, that's a real sandwich!

What I wonder if you can find in Thailand is Ettan. Used to be able to buy it at outrageous prices at a bar in BKK, but think it has closed down long ago. Any ideas, Alholk?

They have tobacco, Swedish style, at various places in LOS -- for example in Hua Hin at that Swedish restaurant. I've seen it sold in the Krabi area as well. Currently, I'm not aware of any outlet in BKK -- but it wouldn't suprise me if they sold it at the Swedish owned hotel at Sukhumvit 22 (sorry can't recall the name now).

The easiest way to purchase it though is by fax/e-mail order directly from the largest "snus" producer Swedish Match.(*) I've done it countless of times. It turns out cheaper than buying it in Sweden, as there is no tax, or less tax, added when shipped abroad.

(*) Caveat: I'm not sure "Ettan" is made by Swedish Match, I think it's owned by a company named Ljunglöfs.

Archived