Peasants in Taiwan

whosyourdaddy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4172272.stm

Thai workers protest in Taiwan

The situation is now under control

Hundreds of expatriate Thai workers have set fire to their dormitory and clashed with riot police in southern Taiwan over their living conditions.

A police officer said the 1,600 workers were upset over a ban on drinking and gambling in their living quarters.

The violence broke out late on Sunday night in Kangshan city, where the workers live on site while they build a mass-transit railway system.

Tens of thousands of Thai labourers are employed in Taiwan.

The Thai workers burnt cars and threw stones at police after some were caught drinking by their employers, police said on Monday.

"The workers are unhappy with the way they have been treated by their Taiwan managers," a police spokesman said.

Several workers and police were slightly injured, authorities told the French news agency AFP.

The situation reportedly calmed after the Taiwanese employers agreed to relax restrictions on drinking and the use of mobile phones, as well as allowing the workers to watch TV.

Most of Taiwan's 300,700 foreign labourers are from the Philippines and Thailand.

Taiwan lifted a ban on hiring foreign workers in 1991 to meet a domestic labour shortage.

---------------------------------------

Lets see if this story makes the post in the morning. A damning story for thailand

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this had extensive coverage on thai TV; thai embassy officials in taiwan are probably quite busy now to try to work things out; wonder who will pay for the damage. there are many thai workers in Taiwan. flew BKK-Taipei many times and there were always 2-3 dozen thai workers on it. they earn there 3-4 times what they would earn in thailand.

ban on drinking and gambling? sounds familiar! wonder why nobody fights those issues in Thailand like early closing hours, ban on selling alcohol in the afternoon, ban on alcohol on public holidays etc.

Hi,

As samak said, this is getting quite a bit of coverage here. I saw the living conditions on TV and I can't really blame them for bitching about it. Row upon row of bunkbeds, with less than a meter space between them.

BTW, why did you feel the need to use the word 'peasants' in the title as opposed to 'Thais' or 'Thai workers'?

Sanuk!

Samak,

"ban on drinking and gambling? sounds familiar! wonder why nobody fights those issues in Thailand like early closing hours, ban on selling alcohol in the afternoon, ban on alcohol on public holidays etc."

Good point! Maybe a letter to the BKK Post mailbag is in order? :)

Cent

p.s. Did anyone else notice Dean Barrett's letter in the BKK Post mailbag Last week ?

Torney,

I could understand the gambling ban to a point, (but then some just can't seem to just play a friendly low-stakes game of cards really) but the mobile phone ban? What the fuck is that about? And a TV ban? Why? Footie gambling? :D And the drinking, okay, if there are problems from excessive drinking and fighting, understandable, but then once again it's the same thing I see in the states. A few people abuse it, and all suffer for their idiocy. Why not a rule that drunkeness and fighting will get you put on the first plane out, fired and without the job, and let those responsible enough to enjoy a couple beers or shots to relax after work having their harmless tipple. I've always despised these blanket rules to control the idiots among us that end up affecting all our little enjoyments.

People in the states used to be able to enjoy a beer or two while laying/sitting around on the sand enjoying the beach. Now? No fucking way, all because a few dickheads ruin it with their moronic behaviour and lack of self control.

I say arrest, fine, and lock-up the arseholes and let the rest of us responsible citizens enjoy our little pleasures in life. Fucking "Nanny State" policies burn my ass. We let the dull-thinking lazy-assed politicians and moronic slobs of the world ruin it for the rest of us. Stupid.

Cent

khunsanuk said:

Hi,I saw the living conditions on TV and I can't really blame them for bitching about it. Row upon row of bunkbeds, with less than a meter space between them.

that's luxury for what i have seen myself in dormitories of Taiwanese owned factories in China. 10 sqm for 10 people is pretty much standard. clothes are stored outdoors on hangers. there are even factories of greedy owners, where the people sleep in shifts; 2 people share a bed: while the one is working the other is sleeping and vice versa.

Archived