Taxi Fares

mako

I feel sorry for the taxi drivers in Bangkok sometimes.

I think the flagfall (starting fare) was 35 baht when I first came to Thailand 8 years ago.

And its still same same, despite the cost of fuel more than doubling since then.

Add in the fact that they now have to compete against the Skytrain and the subway and it must be hard for them to make a quid.

If they put the starting fare up to, say, 60 baht I would still use them and not have any problem doing so.

I *HATE* the taxi guys who hang out the front of hotels waiting to prey on people going to the airport etc. (Outside Woraburi Hotel in soi 4 is a classic example). I have no idea why anyone supports these lazy pricks. There's many other guys out there working hard driving around trying to get a fare and then these twats do a couple of trips to the airport each day and make far more for far less work. It shits me off. Its only ever less than a minute's wait for a taxi in soi 4 and the fare is always far less than the 400B these highway robbers charge. And it goes to a bloke who deserves it more.

MooNoi

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

I didn't think of the possibilty that it might a limo or similar, I'll see they turn up with and sort it out from there, and after all it's only $23 and I wasn't sure whether the hotel was getting at me as I have had a lot of stuffing around with the hotel booking. It must be busy there at the moment as all the budget hotels (for tight arses like me ;-)) are booked out.

Barry

Not to knock the value of a private hotel limousine service that will take you directly to your hotel with no BS, but...

Be aware that the term "Limousine" is used very differently in different places. The car is unlikely to be a "stretch" which the term often implies in north america. The car can be a simple sedan and frequently a van. Allso does the agreement sugest a "private" limo service ? If not you may be sharing the vehicle with other pick ups at that time.

And the Limo may as well be making drops at more than one hotel.

The start price has stayed the same at 35 baht, but before all the taxis used 91/95 fuel from the pumps, whereas now they use LPG costing only 9.50 a litre, the costs of running the vehicle are approximately the same or perhaps marginally less than before the hike in oil prices.

INTJ

no taxi at the airport?!? i have never seen this. there are always dozens of taxis waiting...

Oh, I have! Not many times, but several occasions in the last year I have seen the queue for the taxi stretch more than 100 meters long and you know how long it takes someone to get in their taxi as they have to wait and fill out the form first. It's a bad wait as you are "almost there" yet having to stand outside. And there have been times when they are out of taxi's before the next spurt of them arrived. The other problem with taxi's that show up at the airport is 95% of them are the rattiest, most delapidated old beasts on the roads and smell badly of BO inside.

another option is use your mileage for TG limousine

Hmm, didn't know you could use miles on that. But agree with the sentiments to understand what a "Limo" is so you don't freak when it is a regular old minibus or volvo which they typically are. The TG limo are normally a newer, but cheap mercedes C class and that is about the highest standard you will find and I think they now cost over 800 baht and tip is expected. For me, unless that kind of price nets a stretched MB S class with napa leather and a wet bar, forget it I'll head for the taxi line; 300 baht including everything (fare, tolls, tip, expressway).

To avoid the old stinking wrecks and the dodgy drivers in the public taxi queue, walk up to departures and grab a nice decent cab that has just dropped off. The drivers are pleasant, glad of a return fare downtown and the cars are much newer and more comfortable.

INTJ

[color:"green"] I feel sorry for the taxi drivers in Bangkok sometimes.

I think the flagfall (starting fare) was 35 baht when I first came to Thailand 8 years ago.

[/color]

Most of the taxis use propane that has NOT doubled in price.

PS My last ride from airport to Nana Hotel was a total of 240 baht. That INCUDES 40 baht for toll and 50 baht airport surcharge and tip.

shygye said:

[color:"green"] I feel sorry for the taxi drivers in Bangkok sometimes.

[/color]

Most of the taxis use propane that has NOT doubled in price.

Yeah but that starting fare has been the same for 13 years or more, from days gone by when that B35 was $1.40. Factor in inflation over those 13 years and the poor cabbies are just about paying you to get in the car for short trips. No wonder some of them can be a bit grumpy or try to take advantage of tourists, I certainly would.

Archived