Riding Out Katrina

HSTEACH

I thought this was interesting...not trying to stir the shit...

HUD chief foresees a 'whiter' Big Easy

By Brian DeBose

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

September 30, 2005

A Bush Cabinet officer predicted this week that New Orleans likely will never again be a majority black city, and several black officials are outraged.

Alphonso R. Jackson, secretary of housing and urban development, during a visit with hurricane victims in Houston, said New Orleans would not reach its pre-Katrina population of "500,000 people for a long time," and "it's not going to be as black as it was for a long time, if ever again."

Rep. Danny K. Davis, Illinois Democrat and a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, quickly took issue.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050929-114710-8545r.htm

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one is going to rebuild slums back to slums,

and thats what much of NO was (same as most major USA cities centers)

So unless they give the poor very cheap rent they will never come back.

But it will become a Mexican area, because they will go there to work and stay in the area once they have a job - house-etc

OC

Hugh_Hoy said:

Funny article. And Maxine Waters...a fucking sponge has more brain cells than that cunt.

HH

Great opportunity for Disney here. They could clean it up and turn Nawlins into a theme park. They could have riverboat rides, gumbo picnics on the levee and authentic old blues singers. :)

chuckwoww said:

Great opportunity for Disney here. They could clean it up and turn Nawlins into a theme park. They could have riverboat rides, gumbo picnics on the levee and authentic old blues singers. :)

Hey...could have a submarine ride too...Captain Nagin...I mean "Captain Nemo" at the helm :)

Could also be used as a set for the next "Survior" series.

HH

Hugh_Hoy said:
chuckwoww said:

Hey...could have a submarine ride too...Captain Nagin...I mean "Captain Nemo" at the helm :)

Could also be used as a set for the next "Survior" series.

HH

There you go. Get some big fans blowing for the 'Hurricane Experience'. You could even spend a night in a flooded motel....the kids would love it. :)

I'm a little confused. Okay, so some of the residents (largely black) that are living elsewhere till the city is ready will either not want to move back or not allowed to move back?

Wasn't it about 70% black before? Also, why comment on whether its going to predominately or not predominately black? Is the statement necessary? So much for everyone just being American.

Wishful thinking perhaps? ::

Foot-in-mouth-disease has been hitting conservatives lately. New Orleans is actually a good opportunity for the city, state and feds to rebuild an urban area without the mistakes of the past. It won't happen though. All that money will get wasted. It always does.

chocolat steve said:

I'm a little confused. Okay, so some of the residents (largely black) that are living elsewhere till the city is ready will either not want to move back or not allowed to move back?

Wasn't it about 70% black before? Also, why comment on whether its going to predominately or not predominately black? Is the statement necessary? So much for everyone just being American.

I can't help but think that the guy's statement wasn't taken out of context somehow. You're right, wouldn't make sense to make a comment or speculate on a "stand-alone" basis. I'd like to know more about the circumstances in which his comment was allegedly made and in what context before I drew any conclusions.

HH

Archived