Riding Out Katrina

HSTEACH

Guest lazyphil

We all knew money makes America tick long before this. Violence doesn't, this just drags things down, and as America is the strongest country in the world in every sense it cant be that violent or it would be as fucked as Thailand (Thailand is vely violent, right?)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching CNN I just realized that I have never seen so many people crying in front of a tv camera, from simple people in the streets to high ranking officals. It's such a sad and terrible story.

The president of a local Louisiana parish, Aaron Broussard, broke down sobbing on the NBC program "Meet the Press" today as he talked about an elderly woman who drowned while awaiting repeatedly promised help.

"Nobody's coming to get us," Mr. Broussard said, his head sagging. "The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God's sake, shut up and send us somebody."

"The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything," Mr. Broussard said. "His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, 'Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, 'Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night.

"Nobody's coming to get us," he said through his tears. "Nobody's coming to get us."

'but my post to you was why should the U.S. Government and it's citizens be " embarrassed " about donations to a charitable organization helping out those in need ?'

i don't know the full story,so many different reports in different Threads.

but i understand that Bush refused offers of help from other Nations (correct me if i am wrong please) and when it dawned on him that the scale of damage was great that he had to swallow his pride and accept the offers.

not an embarrassent to the US Nation but to his stupidity,or maybe his Aides who told him not to worry.

sayjann said:

'but my post to you was why should the U.S. Government and it's citizens be " embarrassed " about donations to a charitable organization helping out those in need ?'

but i understand that Bush refused offers of help from other Nations (correct me if i am wrong please) and when it dawned on him that the scale of damage was great that he had to swallow his pride and accept the offers.

not an embarrassent to the US Nation but to his stupidity,or maybe his Aides who told him not to worry.

GWB may have said no thanks to Gov to Gov help , If the idiot had half a brain , he would have said " the american people thank you for your kind consideration for helping us during this crisis , the American Red Cross would truly appreciate any and all donations made on your behalf " but who am I to tell the chief how to think or speak ? :banghead:

Bada :help: Bing

BadaBing said:

GWB may have said no thanks to Gov to Gov help , If the idiot had half a brain , he would have said " the american people thank you for your kind consideration for helping us during this crisis , the American Red Cross would truly appreciate any and all donations made on your behalf " but who am I to tell the chief how to think or speak ? :banghead:

Don't be too hard on Dubya. He's stuck in tough self-reliant mode. :)

chuckwoww said:
BadaBing said:

Don't be too hard on Dubya. He's stuck in tough self-reliant mode. :)

YAI (Yet AnotherIdiot)

sayjann said:'

Well, you did qualify what amounts to "rumor" (and I'm amazed that others here jumped in--seemingly buying off on what amounts to probably vague recollection of yours that could well have been bullshit from the get-go; that is, GWB refused offers of help.) I'd like to know the source so that I could evaluate the validity of the info. The original source wouldn't have been the same EX CBS News producer who got the boot after it was learned that she used forged/ficticious documents in attempting to discredit GWB's military service, would it? Or maybe it was Dan "Blather", the FORMER news anchor at CBS who only too-gladly went along with the story (even after being warned of it's possible lack of authenticity.)

Just curious.

Hugh (mak)

Archived