Thank you world!!!!!

Brink15

Remember that Katrina was degraded from 5 to 2 and not hitted New Orleans as predicted - what if had still been a 5 and hitting N O?

Many countries now after the supplication from the White House have offered their help but the US government is slow to give the diplomatic acceptance - all around Europe rescue teams are ready to go as soon as the Bush administration gives the OK.

elef

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elef,

"Katrina was degraded from 5 to 2 and not hitted New Orleans as predicted"

Can anyone back up this statement?

I remembered it being a Cat 4 strength Hurricane at the time of landfall, and if the weather images that I remember are correct, basically the eye of the storm went directly through New Orleans metro area.

???

Yahoo: Katrina

Katrina weakened slightly to a Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds estimated at 145 mph as it made landfall early Monday, but it maintained a storm surge that is only generally found in category 5 storms.

"Katrina was a very large storm, high energy, high intensity coming across the gulf," said Elizabeth English, an associate professor at Louisiana State University's Hurricane Center.

"When the wind speed began to go down the storm surge did not dissipate. ... There was essentially a lot more momentum in the water than there was in the wind," said English.

As Katrina moved over land Monday the water it brought surged into Lake Pontchartrain.

A day later, the straining levees could not hold back the additional water and they broke in three places -- along the Industrial Canal, the 17th Street Canal, and the London Street Canal -- allowing water to pour into the city.

--------------------

Now just need to find a map of the eye of the storm.

Another version:

Katrina's effects state-by-state

Monday, August 29, 2005; Posted: 4:05 p.m. EDT (20:05 GMT)

LOUISIANA:

After hitting Florida last week, Katrina strengthened to a Category 5 storm over the Gulf of Mexico but weakened slightly and came ashore early Monday as a Category 4 storm with winds of 145 mph.

Forecasters said the potential 15-foot storm surge, down from a feared 28 feet, was still substantial enough to cause extensive flooding. Near Lake Ponchartrain, entire neighborhoods of one-story homes were flooded up to the rooflines.

MISSISSIPPI:

Winds hit 135 mph, as the storm pounded the Mississippi coast. Gulfport Fire Chief Pat Sullivan called it "a devastating hit." A 22-foot storm surge recorded in Bay St. Louis. The Wolf River in Harrison County poured out of its banks. Gulfport Memorial Hospital in Biloxi experienced major damage.

The storm's winds dropped to 125 mph -- a Category 3 storm -- as it pushed inland near the Louisiana-Mississippi line.

I'm not doubting the facts as you got them. But I am doubting your source. When Opal hit in 95, 1/2 mile from where I sit, they said it was a Cat# 2. The pilot of the hurricane hunter c-130 said it was a 3. I question what I hear and see on the media. When Ivan came in last September, I tried to get out. I had car trouble and had to ride it out in a double-wide mobile home. That was the scariest night I have had in my life. I swore then I would never do it again. I ran from Dennis a couple of months ago, and my car sit under my carport for Katrina, Full of gas, half-packed and headed North if need be.

It makes for a good excuse to chase down women in FRESH territory. I'll try to find out the official version of MPH when Biloxi and Gulfport was hit. But the people in those areas are acting just as weird as those in N O. My nephew took cash and food to Pascagoula for aid. They had full 9MM and an armed policeman with them. They were told to expect anything from the people including being carjacked.

Archived