Cost of wardrobe vs. bring your own?

Pat_from_Jersey

I have often heard it said in these forums that clothes are relatively inexpensive in LOS. How about some numbers? I am staying for 15 days and assume I'll be changing 2X a day. 30 boxers, 30 sox, 30 shirts and pants? that's too big for a carryon (which is what I want to do).

How much does it cost for a short-sleeve, button-down, light-weight cotton shirt? Pants? If they are affordable to me, I would rather not drag them around during my vacation.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Locally made short sleeve button-down shirts can be found from 200 baht upwards. You could get something reasonable for about 750 baht in any of the department stores.

Pants? A good pair of underwear can be had for less than 200 baht. But I guess you're talking US English here, pants being trousers, a reasonable pair will cost around 1,000 baht, a good pair maybe twice that.

Stick

Pat,

Can't see the need for 30 "sets"

There are really good inexpensive Laundry services almost everywhere that do "same day"

Last trip to Europe, the Hotel wanted 3 Euros to launder socks or jocks and up to 12 Euros for jeans....so, brought 7 or 8 "sets" back to Bkk and laundered the lot for around 500 baht - Express 5 hour service....and really good job (even delivered back to Majestic Suites.)

Laundry was in Soi 4 about 100 metres past Dynesty..same side

Bring a couple of changes and head to Toyku Dept Store at MBK....reasonably good stuff and well priced. Too good for throw away, so just do a daily drop off / pick up as you pass the laundry while out sight seeing.

Chock dee Dumsoda :beer: :beer:

Stickman said:

Locally made short sleeve button-down shirts can be found from 200 baht upwards. You could get something reasonable for about 750 baht in any of the department stores.

Pants? A good pair of underwear can be had for less than 200 baht. But I guess you're talking US English here, pants being trousers, a reasonable pair will cost around 1,000 baht, a good pair maybe twice that.

Stick

Need to get Mrs Stick to save you some baht...750 for reasonable...wow!

Some nice boxer briefs in LOS: Beyond Basic at 110 a pop!

Shirts: tie, collar button down: 150 to 450

Shorts: 200 to 400!

Place: Big C XXL store, Pattaya- on 2nd level on right side when facing the movies...close to the T.V and camera store!

This is all beach wear: You could shop around and get it for less or more depending where you go! Big C or Royal garden in Pattaya have all sorts of places for nothing in the terms of cost! However, apart from XXL stores I find it a challenge to get my size...I'm not that big...34 waist XL in USA in shirt size!

Bring 4 or 5 of your Favorite sets of clothes...good shoes and sandals! Also you can have your clothes done at any hotel for like 3 to 7 bucks and back in less then 24 hours too!

Bring good jeans and pants you like both are often hard to aquire in size and feel...unless you taylor make stuff! Shorts and shirts even boxers are a dime a dozen and eady to find!

SkiBum

In the past, I've purchased short-sleeved cotton shirts at BoBae for as little as 60-Bt...and up to 120-Bt for shirts made with higher quality material.

BUT...WHY...with a mere 15 days in your trip would you want to spend a day or so shopping for clothes...when you can bring your own and party on. I also find it incredible that anyone wants 30 changes of clothes for 15-days! You must be sweating battery acid. Or maybe you're allergic to soap and water?? ::

um, it never occured to me I could send my laundry to a cleaning service (usually do it myself and don't want to do THAT on vacation)! I envisioned 30 sets because I believe what I've read on these boards about expecting to change 2X a day due to climate? I will compromise...(as usual). Take 10 sets, wash and buy. I heard Jeans were not appropriate and either were shorts...which makes no sense to me since we're talking equatorial climate, but when in Rome...

I was under the impression...

#1 no sandles or open-faced shoes (espeically when visiting temples)

#2 No jean or shorts as these leisure clothes symbolize laziness and disrespect

#3 no short-sleeve shirts

IN summary, I thought it was more appropriate to have knit trousers, long-sleeve shirt and a new pair of florsheims?

What the hell is correct? I don't want to perpetuate the "dirty, lazy American" stereotype, but I also don't want to be uncomfortable and stand out. More reading to do...

My 2-cents...and probably worth less...

1-Sandals are the most common for of footwear for the Thai's.

Comfortable...and your feet don't sweat as much as with shoes. Any footwear is fine for temples...besides you'll have to take them off prior to entering the temple.

2-Many farangs in BKK wear shorts...and I think this is disrespectful...yet in Pattaya shorts are acceptable and often worn by the Thai's. Cotton pants are fine in BKK

3-Short sleeve shirts, like polo shirts, are fine...'T' shirts are cheesy yet often worn by farangs in BKK, who have no taste or class. But 'T' shirts are more common in Pattaya...but we locals have no class anyway....and if we did we'd probably be living in BKK.

Knit trousers, long-sleeved shirts and leather shoes...are great is you want to look like Mr. Businessman, get charged higher prices by the gals and prefer sweating a lot!

So...'up to you'

Pat_from_Jersey said:

...<snip>..I was under the impression...

#1 no sandles or open-faced shoes (espeically when visiting temples)

#2 No jean or shorts as these leisure clothes symbolize laziness and disrespect

#3 no short-sleeve shirts

IN summary, I thought it was more appropriate to have knit trousers, long-sleeve shirt and a new pair of florsheims?

Archived