Eating Out

The_Munchmaster

When I'm out drinking I like to stop for a bite to eat at some point, as long as it's convenient for the bar area I'm in so as to avoid wasted time travelling to and from the eatery.

In Patpong it's fairly easy as there are plenty of places in and around. Normally I go to Le Bouchon and the French Kiss (Bobby's Arms in the dim and distant past, but not any more) and Soi Convent is close and has plenty of restaurants. Washington has The Dubliner but Nana is difficult so I normally just grab a burger from the stall at the entrance. Cowboy isn't a lot better, but does have the Ship Inn, Old Dutch and the Fish and Chip Shop, however none of them are that good. Also on a few occasions late on in the Toy Bar, when I've had nothing to eat earlier and the hunger pangs have kicked in, I've ordered a burger over the bar and though I've no idea where they get them from they've always been pretty tasty.

Has anyone got any recommendations for tasty eateries which are convenient for the bars or is it a case of once in the bars its drink, drink, drink and eating is not on the agenda?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi munch,

A good spot in Cowboy is Sam's (or is that Sam's 2000?) about midway on the Sheba side. Likely that is where your burger at Toy came from. A combined open air beer bar and restaurant - if it is still there.

In Nana, a reasonable (but not outstanding imho) spot is Bus Stop, but otherwise, I agree that choices are limited down there. Nana Hotel has a restaurant on the ground floor which is not bad. Slightly further afield is Huntsman in the basement of Landmark - a bit pricey but on the same side of Suk.

Khwai

Well, it's a real pity Woodstocks with its great menu and beers is gone so I have had to venture further and here are my results for NEP. Let's say you start walking from the sky train towards NEP:

You'll first come to the Landmark and can go to the Huntsman downstairs. Very nice menu, great food, and nice atmosphere, even live entertainment. Food is expensive, though reasonable for what you get. However, a basic beer is close to 200 baht and this keeps me from going back as you can imagine what the bill is like after a couple 2 or 3 beers.

Across the street a bit further down is an Irish place I don't recall the name claiming great burgers on its green sign. Inside, it's your basic American Diner layout with even ketchup and mustard on all the tables. Has a few TV's with sports and I like their big burgers they boast about quite a lot. Singha on tap. This is my favorite spot of them all.

Then you make your way to Nana Plaza. As you mentioned, sitting in any bar you can order food. While the burgers are fine and baskets of fries large, I just have a bit of a hard time with eating at a gogo. Doesn't feel right for some reason to mix the two.

If you were to keep walking down past Nana on the same side within a very short distance is a Greek outdoor vendor serving up Gyros and such, carving off chicken or lamb from those rotating greek cookers. Cheap, quick, and good.

Walking further you will reach Chequers. Very good burgers, Old Speckled Hen on tap is also a good reason to go here and sports on TV's. Big brit hangout with limited seating.

Then you will reach Jools. I found it a bit clicky inside I have to say. They have Chang on tap, but I didn't stay long enough to eat.

Then there is the outdoor Bus Stop. This is good food, lots of freelancers, has Thai beers on tap, and sports on TV's.

Last stop is the Heidelberg. German food is so-so to decent, but makes up for it with bottles of Frankenheimer wheat beers.

Neo said:

Across the street a bit further down is an Irish place I don't recall the name claiming great burgers on its green sign. Inside, it's your basic American Diner layout with even ketchup and mustard on all the tables. Has a few TV's with sports and I like their big burgers they boast about quite a lot. Singha on tap. This is my favorite spot of them all.

Sounds like O'Briens on Sukhumvit between Sois 3/1 and 5. Open 24 hours.

If your gonna go to soi 7 and 11 then go to Tony Ramanoes!

Sam's in Cowboy works!

Nana take out might be in order!

Pong: There is a pretty good Itailan restaurant in the middle close to some disco's has alot of windows on the front and I believe it's white(well dirty white)

SkiBum

le bouchon in the pong is always a MUST stop when i m in bkk and the owner became a good friend of mine too not because of a one time 9000 bath digestive bill (that hapened after we became friend) but because he s a real nice bloke.

The_Munchmaster i put le bouchon on the review system why don t you write a little something in there?

Capn said:

Jeez..Why mess around with questionable farang food. Maybe try some Thai food for a change. Doh!!!! ::

Nothing wrong with a change of pace. I eat mainly Thai (pun intended) when in country, but a falang meal occasionally is appreciated. I reside in Calfornia and don't eat "American" every day. Viet, Mex, Thai, Chinese, Ethiopian, Latin is in the mix.

Phatpong >> try Thai Room in Pat2

Cowboy >> try Le Dalat Indochine Soi23

Nana >> Try Pomodoro Suk@ Soi5

Archived