Anyone recommend Opera?

keekwai

Keekwai,

i was using opera before firefox came out. now i use opera when firefox has problems with a site, which isn't often the case. And for older less powerful computers (say less than pentium III) I prefer opera over firefox as there's a signifcant difference in performance on those oldies.

It's free, so try it yourself. If you're using IE then you'll love opera or firefox.

Alholk,

for downloads I use 'Free Download Manager', great freeware that simply does what it's named. It can be used with all browsers. With Firefox I use the extension 'Flashgot' which is set to trigger 'Free Download Manager'.

Nice thing is, I sometimes download from a site that only gives 6KB per download (connection). 'Free Download Manager' opens several connections to that site so I get my download much faster.

You are right, operas download manager is superior (by miles) to Firefox or IE.

I'll have to give Opera a try. I've used Foxfire on my P3-750 IBM laptop...and it was quite slow in making connections compared to IE. Thanks for the tip.

Carlton wrote:...'And for older less powerful computers (say less than pentium III) I prefer opera over firefox as there's a signifcant difference in performance on those oldies.'

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it's excellent, and now version 8.5 has done away with the banner ad.

Next innovation (available on a beta version) is built in Bittorrent download/support.

Take a few seconds to check out the keyboard shortcuts or mouse gestures. I use the keyboard - key 1 or 2 to move between tabs and simultaneous right/left mouse clicks to move back/forward in a tab.

coops

Archived