Aussie Miss Thailand Says No to Long Time

Torneyboy

However for Thailand to do it just shows the in built hatred of their own people and looks.

--------------------------------------

a bit strong, ND, no? who are the judges in the thai contests, how many, and are judges in the provincial contests, asked to favor luk krungs?

I see your point, but "Thailand"? it would also make more sense if every year, a luk krung was selected as miss Thailand. Is it the case?

If not, no one said a black Miss USA meant self-racism from white USA. Though it certainly has to do with a few peope deciding who should win THAT year. Probably same here.

Plus, I know not you, but a few said thai luk krungs are not that popular in Thailand, because thais are racist, it just gets confusing to find out who they are racist again ::. Looks like evrybody and themselves too at this point! :doah: ::. What a wretched people! ::

I agree with Sayjann in another related thread, killer looks are often only a part of the judgement, and politicking gets into it. A looker, with enormous sex appeal, won't go too far anymore, in Thailand. Well, I mean in the contest, there are other rewards to get, getting the exposure.

I dunno, it seems thais are damned if they do, and damned if they don't these days.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don;t know, but I am the father of a luk krung, the preferential treatment she gets is amazing to that of her cousin who is just as cute and the same age.

Thai's hate being dark, why would there exist whitening cream if they where comfortable with being dark?

It's a extension of their own, "Pale skin looking is best" desires.

Also a black miss america IS representative of a large porpotion of the USA, as would be a hispanic one, or WASP girl!

A Luk Krung is NOT representative of any large group in Thailand other than a desire to be white.

Self racism.

DOG

My wife's oldest sister was chosen Miss Lampang years ago and I think actually did compete in the Miss Thailand contest. (Must have been over 20 years ago.) Now the gal was pretty enough, nice figure with big norks. But I am sure what got her the Miss Lampang title was that she was the WHITEST one in the contest. She has skin that is almost as pale as a sheet of paper, even though there is no Chinese or Farang ancestry in the family. My Mrs is light skinned too, but nowhere near as light as white as her sister.

And when I worked up country, I would see some farm gals completely covered up as they worked in the rice fields -- arms, hands, face covered with just their eyes exposed. When I asked what that was all about, Thais told me that those were very light skinned girls and their families wanted to keep them that way so they could find them a rich husband ... or sell them off to the MPs and brothels! :(

p.s. Has anyone ever seen a Miss Thailand who was NOT light skinned? Uh-uh.

This story made excite.com oddly enough news.

The real kicker is the crown was given to the second runner up Sirinda Jensen ... who just happens to be half Dutch and half Thai! 555!

""Miss Thailand didn't expect to have to live there

Sep 21, 11:48 AM (ET)

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Australian beauty Angela MacKay has handed back her Miss Thailand crown just 10 days after winning it, saying her entirely unexpected triumph interfered with her modeling career.

"I really went into the competition because I just wanted to learn how to speak Thai and I wanted to have a Thai experience," said the 21-year-old from Perth with an Australian father and a Thai mother.

"I wanted to just learn about Thai culture. I honestly didn't expect to win at all. It was a very, very big surprise to me," she said before heading back to New York late on Tuesday to go back to modeling.

MacKay said she had been persuaded to enter by relatives in Thailand when she came for a visit and hadn't realized that the title required her to stay in the country for the coming year.

She returned the prize money of 1 million baht, a diamond crown worth 800,000 baht and a car.

Thailand will send second placed Sirinda Jensen to the Miss World contest in China in December. Jensen is half Thai and half Dutch.""

I feel like you, that luk krung as physical features go is hip in LOS and the look on ads sells.

Though I do not think thais are self-racist, which has always been a term I equated with whole-out reject, of oneself or someone else.

Thais may wish for a less darkened skin, they may hate to be dark, but so do a lot of white chicks, thinking they're too fat, or too teeny breasted. And some people indeed go to the point of self-hatred, but IMO, I see this deplorable negative self-awareness more in the west, than in Thailand.

Also, your point about blacks in USA is spot on, but it makes me think that thais may not actually care that much if the miss is LK, or pure thai, as long as she wins it for Thailand!!! Doesn't it seem more thai, seen like this? :)

More and more of the 'Asian' women, particularly Thai, depicted in mens magazines and advertising (both in Asia and the West) look 'Eurasian' to my eyes. What the hell is 'wrong' with prominently slanted eyes, button noses, brown skin and petite frames ??? It doesnt fit the industry's cyclopean ideal of 'beauty', so we are stuck with Euro-trash like Kate Moss and Co.

Personally, I prefer Asian women with Chinese facial features, but they are all beautiful. If anything, the Eurasians often look a bit freakish to me - cute as kids, but their larger frames and prominent noses just dont look right. Apologies to any Eurasian board members - you'd probably find my physical features quite hilarious - but thats my two-cents worth.

Archived