Thailand Pattay Etc VS Balibago Philippines

Alfmaz

Went on my second trip to LOS.

I didn't bother posting in the last couple PI threads because most have heard it.

I was suposed to link up with friends on Cebu.

Instead; during arrival at the airport, someone created a distraction. "everyone" in the airport turned around to see who had fired a gun, because thats what it sounded like.

I was asking questions at the arrival counter at the time. When I got to my hotel room, my bag, you know the one you carry your valuables and cameras and passports in, was missing my plane ticket.

No problem thought I, the next morning I began my hunt for the Thai Airways office, but by the time i located and arrived at the office there wasn't enough time to replace the ticket that day. And they were closing for the weekend. So by the time I had my ticket replaced there was no time to fly out to Cebu. And thus my 7 nights of hell in Manilla.

I don't feel it's a really fair judgement of the country. I dont feel I'm qualified to pass a judgement, my experience was too limited and jaded.

Most of what I saw sheds an ill light on the place and I'm sure it could have been quite different had I been on Cebu.

Some observations:

-Manilla was crime and theft and no girls that left enough of an impression that I really remember them.

-Some thugs tried to push me into an alley, I can only imagine to mug me.

- A very small child stuffed her hand in my pocket and tried to relieve me of my money roll.

I had to almost break here hand to have her remove it without the cash.

-A man with no legs rolling around on a board with small wheels tried sell me drugs (spit balls he called out).

-The food was comparitively bland and overcooked.

Except for one place I found called "Rosies Diner".

-Lots of security guards and others walking around with guns.

-Local guys seemed much like the other poster said "childlike" but with Hispanic macho.

-I ate ballute, which was pre-mature baby ducks in the shell boiled medium.

-I smoked some nice Phillipino cigars.

-I drank a hell of a lot of San Miguell rum, as well as assorted beers.

-It was during the period of power failures or "brown outs". And the hotel I stayed in at first would turn off the electricity at 10 AM, making my room stiffling hot by 10:20 AM.

I would love to give PI another chance, but theres still lots of other asian countries I'd like to explore.

Thanks all, just wanted a few other opinions as my friend raves about it as it is better than Thailand, the last couple of years my friend has had trouble meeting girls in Thailand but has no trouble meeting them in the Philippines. I think Size and looks now count in Thailand when BF girls these days.

I love Thailand, my friends often say why you not go some where different, why I have been around the world to almost every country in Europe, UK and USA, I say I love Thailand the people the food and I can speak a bit and I fell relaxed there and it is so cheap to stay there for a long time and enjoy a holiday with only a 9 hour flight

are like night and day.

I have been to Manila more than a few times and found I just could not like the city. The traffic was heinous and heat and pollution unbearable - sounds like BKK? but compounded by the crime, crowds and constant begging and scams.

Cebu on the other hand was refreshing. The beaches were great, the diving better. I could go down a dark alley and not be harassed by anyone. The people seemed to take a genuine pride in their city. There were cultural touristy things to do besides running bars. Don't get me wrong the nightlife was great!

Pom_Jao_Choo said:the Thai Airways office, but by the time i located and arrived at the office there wasn't enough time to replace the ticket that day. And they were closing for the weekend.

The Thai Airway office, or wherever the phones are routed, did not answer or put me on hold numerous times. I finally gave up as wanted to get the fuck out of the country.

I showed up at the airport and of course the flight was "FULL" and I could not find that out..(I suppose I could have called Bangkok now thinking it thru but this is another example of how your mind gets put in the twilight zone in the P.I., I never thought of CALLING Thailand when Thai Air had a number in the Philippines!)

I ended up paying $150usd for a first class upgrade at the airport. That was the LAST seat on the plane, a huge 777. Had I not been there 3hours early would not have even gotten that seat.

Nok

I don't know how long you have for your next stay, but don't miss the chance to try it for yourself, or you'll just be left wondering.

If your unsure just plan it as a side trip your first time. The flight isn't long (to manilla anyways).

I usually have longer stays in LOS and look forward to side trips to neighboring countries.

NokTang said:I ended up paying $150usd for a first class upgrade at the airport. That was the LAST seat on the plane, a huge 777. Had I not been there 3hours early would not have even gotten that seat.

Thai Airways does not operate any First Class between Manila and Bangkok, just biz and coach. however 2 daily flights; you could have taken the next one.

Archived