ID To Be Needed At Soi Cowboy Bars

Stickman

rickfarang said:

You mean, like a driving license? You wish is granted! :D

According to an earlier post in this thread, a government issued driving license from your home country is acceptable.

No, my governement issued drivers license is a piece of shit and does not look similar to a credit card in a million miles and no english to be seen on it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from Soi Cowboy about ten minutes ago and...

1. no ID checks;

2. cars and motorcycles could and did drive through; and

3. no security on either end of the Soi that I could see.

I can see the point to enhanced security and even requiring IDs for periodic checks. But carrying a passport when you are out drinking is impractical and most people wouldn't do it. Nor will they expect that that they are required to do it.

If this is really all about enhanced security - and not just enhancing the MiB's income - put some barricades at either end of Soi Cowboy. Put security - visible as well as not so visible in their as well. And then let's start talking about a practical ID check. Right now, however, it all sounds like another Thai con.

I suggest going to a tailor shop in Bangkok. Ask them to sew in a secret pocket INSIDE your pants, in the front near your crotch. Double layer it so it is secure. Seal it with velcro. You can buy velcro tape at Robinsons. they can sew it in, and presto, instant security for your valuable documents and cash / credit cards. Put your passport or other official ID in a zip lock bag and frigging carry that with you.

Otherwise you will be at the mercy of the MIB should they ask you to produce it and you do not have it.

For those of you who do not believe it, it is the LAW to carry an official ID with you at all times. (or the official copy as desribed by SD before) You have been warned! Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!

Peace!

Why not just buy one of those pouches that hang down from your BELT, inside your pants? Absolutely just as secure as what your solution was, and the main advantage is that you can use it with ANY pair of pants or shorts (as long as you use a belt), interchangeably. The pouches are flat and easily hold a passport and lots of other things. I sometimes wear 2 of them, on both sides. Makes carrying a passport so easy. And a pickpocket absolutely cannot get anything from them...though a thief/mugger could, if armed and forces you to take your belt off.

I suggest going to a tailor shop in Bangkok. Ask them to sew in a secret pocket INSIDE your pants, in the front near your crotch. Double layer it so it is secure. Seal it with velcro. You can buy velcro tape at Robinsons. they can sew it in, and presto, instant security for your valuable documents and cash / credit cards. Put your passport or other official ID in a zip lock bag and frigging carry that with you.

And your average tourist is supposed know about this "law" and do all of this before going out at night in Bangkok?
For those of you who do not believe it, it is the LAW to carry an official ID with you at all times. (or the official copy as desribed by SD before) You have been warned! Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
A few others have said this (including that trite and annoying cliche about "doing the time), but I have not see any poster here who claims that this is the law identify that law. You know, a referal to something specific, such as Section XYZ of the Thai Penal Code or Clause 123 of the Act on Ruining a Good Night Out, B.E. 2508.

And the certainity with which they declare: "it's the law!", coupled with the absence of any specific back up (and the awful and annoying cliche) raises serious credibility questions in my mind.

On the other hand, those of who have expressed doubts have generally done so in a tempered manner, and admitted we really don't know. Proving a negative is always hard, particularly when you are honest and admit you really don't know.

Of course, even though I don't know, I do see plenty of problems with such a law, particularly in Thailand, where it is likely to be used as a revenue enhancement device by those responsible for enforcing this "law".

Hi,

all over a certain age (14?, but they will issue IDs to youngers soon and lower that age) in Thailand must carry an ID - foreigner or not. If you ask your embassy I guess that they will answer that the passport is the only legal ID of a citizen from your country if abroad - as they can verify that it's genuine. Also you must carry some proof of your visa or residentship. What is accpetable in each case is firstly determined by an immigration officer and finally by a judge (if needed).

In my country all nonswedish citizens must carry a passport or a national ID card from some specific countries according to swedish law. In many other countries in Europe also the own citizens must carry an acceptable ID.

Archived