ID To Be Needed At Soi Cowboy Bars

Stickman

A bit too sensible I suppose, but I would not have any great objection if the immigration or TAT issued me with a credit card sized photo ID on arrival - even if it was in exchange for a 500B arrival tax.

The biggest problem with me carrying my passport is that as I "live on" Travellers cheques" and cash withdrwawls (me no ATM man!), without my passport I am somewhat f#cked for cash ::

And also if I carry it and I get rained on, and it gets wet - it may be f#cked for use going home (been close before) - Although know that I could get a sensible plastic bag etc........... :: :: ::

Maybe I should get myself a BG for the entire trip and buy her a T-shirt, saying "He is not my customer - I am only carrying his f#cking passport" :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

It seems like another nice little avenue for the MIB to exploit to their advantage.

When they are short of dough just go around to a few bars and hassle the tourists and then fine all those without acceptable id.

Exactly right.

Putting aside the whole question about whether there actually is such a law, there is a more fundamental problem here. Most tourists will not reasonably expect that they are required to carry their passports with them at all times. No sane tourist will carry his original passport with him when drinking in Soi Cowboy, NEP, discos or any other night time venue. The only tourists who will make copies of their passports and carry them when out at night are those who already know about this "law" (if there is one); most tourists will not know about such a law or can be expected know about such a "law". These features of such a "law" therefore really do provide "nice little avenue for the MIB to exploit to their advantage" and make a little extra money from hapless tourists.

Unfortunately IGNORANCE of the law is not an adequate defence. Most tourists should educate themselves on certain issues prior to arriving in a foreign land. Maybe embassies should do a etter job of educating their citizens. I also think that embassies encourage tourists to register themselves with the emabassy if they will be in the country for more than a few days. TOURISTS should carry their passport around out of pure common sense. What if you get in an accident and are unconscious? So if a tourist does not think it is "reasonavle" to carry around a passport then that tourist is a DUMBASS. If you are afarid of losing your passport then wear a money belt, strap it to a pouch around your ankle or hang it around your neck.

If you don't want to carry your passport then be ready to accept the consequences and don't bitch about "rights", "fairness" and how things are done in "your home country.

The reason behind the move to block off the street and require ID is seems to be far different from what I imagined. It became clear in light of the PM's statement on Monday.

"BANGKOK: -- The Thai prime minister said that he has put Thailand?s major tourist spots on full alert today, hinting of links between Muslim militants in the south of the kingdom and the terrorists who staged the latest Bali bombings."

I was there Monday night and though four police officers were obvious at tables in front of bars on each side of the soi at the Asoke end of the soi (that was before the rain started), other security measures were not apparent. There was no visible barrier to keep vehicles from entering the soi. Motorcycles were parked on the soi. We were not asked for our IDs in either of the two bars we went into.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with some sturdy movable barriers at each end of the street, and serious I.D. checks. Especially of those delivery guys wearing heavy jackets.

OCgringo said:

no search warrent needed anymore really,

"probable cause" is the magic word , the cops just make something up about you being nervous , must be a reason for that.......

Most of our rights in the USA have been shot full of holes, thank god for the ACLU that at least questions these rules.

OC

Yeah, I'm guessing just objecting to being searched and asserting your Constitutional rights is now considered "suspicious." Fuckers.

monkey39

I also was in Cowboy last night and I wasn't asked for ID in the bars I went into.

I did however speak with one of the owners who confirmed the rule is in place, and if the police came into a bar and found a customer with no ID, then they would be fined 5,000 baht and the bar would be fined 50,000 baht.

I then asked him why I wasn't asked for any ID to safeguard both myself and the bar, and he said "but I know you!!!" ::

And also if I carry it and I get rained on, and it gets wet - it may be f#cked for use going home (been close before)

1. Take a photocopy of your passport

2. If you're sufficiently skilled, photocopy the entry date stamp on the reverse side

3. Cut down to size (should be around 18 x 13cm) and cover both sides with large clear packing tape

4. Fold and place in jeans back pocket

5. Venture out in confidence to Bangkok establishments of ill repute

6. Always trust Uncle Free2Fly :up:

Out and about last night. No ID needed. Not even an issue. If I id not read this thread, I'd never know about it. Suddenly I'm being reminded of bird flu.

Archived