residency applications and speaking Thai

Bembaman

Has anyone applied for residency in the last couple of years? I am thinking of this and without going into it all I will score well in all categories for the 2 possible application categories which are most appropriate to me I have seen outlined on various websites etc, except for one, speaking Thai. My Thai is crap considering i am in my sixth year here - no excuses offered. I am told it is done on a points basis so i may get enough points from other categories but will lack of Thai linguistic skills nullify success in other categories?

Can anyone shed any light on the 'points' system and what weighting the Thai language bit carries. Is your Thai assessed by a test or interview or what?

Without being rude I would prefer answers from people who have actually been through the process - bar annecdotes will give me 20 different answers none of which I can be confident in. If you have an annecdote from a friend or whatever then please make it clear this is not your own experience and hearsay. I will get the mrs to call immigration to do some digging but I am interested in other people's experiences from the board, especially if they have been through the process recently.

Thanks to all.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just received my application form for this which I have to submit before the end of this month to be considered for next years allocation of residency permits.

Will let you know how I get on. Apparently a certain number of residency permits are available for certain nationalities. Differing numbers for differing countries. Some are oversubscribed, others are not.

If you are from an under-subscribed country, then I would guess (and it's only a guess) that the language part will be a less of a factor.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on.

Archived