residency applications and speaking Thai

Bembaman

Only advantages I can see in a permanent residency are:

1. You don't have to be over 50 (as for a retirement visa).

2. You don't have to be married (as for a spousal visa).

3. You don't have to keep a certain amount of money here (400,000 for spousal, 800,000 for retirement).

4. You don't have to report every 90 days to Imigration.

5. You don't have to spend 1,900 baht every year to renew your visa.

If you are 50 and don't need to work or are married to a Thai, why bother? You still need a work permit if you want to stay employed. Plus, as I said, leave Thailand for 366 days and you've lost it! It is a nice thing to have, but is it worth 200,000 baht and the hassle?

Up to you.

p.s. A couple of years ago every application was approved. I suppose the govmt wants that money.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus you can have your name included on house registration papers.

You can also buy a condo without having to transfer money from abroad.

And become a director of a Public company.

Plus if you want Thai nationality later you have to have permanenet residency first.

I agree the benefits are neglibable if any of the above don't interest you.

Cheers

farangman

Rick,

I do not perceive any big benefit right now; i have a good job and get 2 year visa/WP extensions with no problem. There is little to gain right now in my case. I do however intend going for citizenship in the next few years and it would seem to make sense. As I understand it, if you are legally married to a Thai and have Thai children you do not have to have residency to apply for citizenship but I am sure it is better to have than not.

• 4 weeks later...

Bembaman,

I applied December 2004 and expect to get PR by the end of the year.

There is a 10 question test administered in Thai with each question having 4 multiple choice answers. The immigration officer reads out the question and the multiple choice answers (and, if you are able to read Thai, you can read it yourself as well). I've been here 15 years and did not find the test difficult. The one question I got wrong was "Which flower is associated with Fathers Day in Thailand?".

After the test, I was required to sit in front of a video camera with wife and child at my side and give a 5 minute description about myself in Thai.....Who I am, Where I'm from, Where I work, What's my job title, How much I make etc. Prior to this "interview", the immigration officer had told me all the things I needed to cover. There was only one question asked during the interview......Where does my wife work?

I went through the whole process without the assistance of a lawyer. You may want to hire someone who can help you get all the documentation together and coach you on the test and interview. A friend, whom applied at the same time as me, hired someone for a hefty fee of 150,000 baht (payable only if the application is approved).

Don't know how the points system works.

See http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php for more info and there is a list of the first round of approved names with the majority being Chinese or Indian.

Cheers,

SD

SD

That is incredibly useful - thanks for that. I will dig further on the points issue. I could not do the Thai test and hope to pass right now but maybe next year i can pass it - there's the incentive needed to improve my Thai. Do you remember any of the other questions out of interest? I could not have understood that one in Thai. Like I said , my Thai is abysmal. There is hope, Thais tell me what little I speak I say very well, but the volume of vocabluary is just not there yet.

Bembaman,

There are ten versions of the test. Other questions on the version I took included:

What is the national animal of Thailand? Elephant

Which of these four colors is red?

What is the first day of the new year? 1 January

Which of these four pictures is a warship? Other options included a sailboat, plane, and train.

As mentioned earlier, you can hire someone to guarantee you pass the test. And they will also rehearse the video interview with you.

Cheers,

SD

Archived