Briton robbed on Soi 6.

chuckwoww

Pattaya Mail:

British tourist robbed and injured

Is this the way to make our guest feel welcome?

PATTAYA: -- A 67-year old British man walking through Soi 6 in Central Pattaya at 11:30 p.m. on the night of September 14 was attacked and injured by three men who stole 7,000 baht and his mobile phone before fleeing in the direction of Second Road.

James Mills told police he had been on his way to meet a friend at one of the beer bars in Soi 2. He said he had been in Pattaya for about a week and was staying at a hotel in Soi 20, on the Pattaya-Naklua Road. Mills said he didn?t expect to be attacked in the city even though his friend had warned him to steer clear of Soi 6. Police sent him to hospital for treatment.

-- Pattaya Mail 2005-09-30

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late at night is not the place for the uninformed newbie to be on Soi-6 (Soi Yodsak), in Pattaya. The street begins to crawl with katoey's...and they are aggressive in soliciting those walking down the Soi. I doubt the Brit was robbed by 'three men'...far more likely it was katoeys.

Yet, Soi-6 is a one fun street!

chuckwoww said:

Pattaya Mail: British tourist robbed and injured

Is this the way to make our guest feel welcome?

PATTAYA: -- A 67-year old British man walking through Soi 6 in Central Pattaya at 11:30 p.m. on the night of September 14 was attacked and injured by three men who stole 7,000 baht and his mobile phone before fleeing in the direction of Second Road...<snip>..

We need to start arming ourselves like they do in florida ,when everyone can carry a gun maybe the thai cowards will think twice but I doubt it,I would just love to shoot someone off a moving motorcycle.

It seems a shame that the police can't keep the palce safe, but then maybe its the same element that attracts the bad guys is what attracts the tourist to the area. Perhaps the only thing that can be done is to continue to warn people about the dangers of some parts Pattaya.

(Though this guy was warned, he apparently knowingly ignored the warning and it woud up costing him 7,000 Baht, his cell phone, and sustained injuries for the lesson.)

Older guys alone are targets in Pattaya. I've been hit on twice. Once was the usual katoi nonsense on Beach Road. They got a few hundred baht. Another time 2 guys on a motorbike threatened me with a can of mace on Soi 9 near Second Road. It was early evening. I ducked into a bar where some girls had been watching the whole thing. Nobody gave a shit. The Thai guys eventually took off.

I think that's part of the problem, nobody gives a shit, including the police. These are the kinds of stories they joke about around the water cooler at the station. Unless it involves some guy jumping off a balcony or being found bound up with a bag on his head, they could really care less. I can just hear the officers talking amongst themselves after taking the report...."well what does farang expect walking around with 7000 baht in his wallet?"

That particular incident I mentioned was interesting. I was just walking along and this motorbike comes straight at me....stops with the front wheel between my legs. Then the guy points a mace can at me and says 'Give me 2000 baht.'

I ducked my head and moved quickly into a bar. Got behind some Thai girls who of course scattered in all directions. My 'thinking' was to create a scene...get some attention. There were quite a few people around including farangs but nobody really cared. I just stood there for a while and the guys muttered something about 'We wait you.' Then I guess they got fed up and drove off.

I suggested to the girls to call the police. Ha-ha. 'No hab telephone' :)

Archived