Know this ground connector?

rickfarang

We bought a small one-burner hotplate that comes with this three wire plug (see the photo). Notice that there is no male ground pin to go into the female grround connector on the wall socket.

I've wondered about this weird connector for years, but we only recently moved into an apartment with grounded outlets. How does one going about getting this ground connection made? Do I need to go to the store and buy some sort of a ground pin to make the connection?

powerplug.jpg

Thanks for any helpful info in advance

Rick

No, you just need the right socket, a type F. The grounding takes place via the metal strips on the outside of the plug; nothing goes into that little hole. No adaptors that I am aware of to use the grounding feature in a normal plug.

plug_socket.jpg

Per this cool site, "everything ya ever wanted to know about electrical plugs the world over": Plug F, known as CEE 7/4 and commonly called "Schuko plug", is similar to C except that it is round and has the addition of two grounding clips on the side of the plug. It has two 4.8 mm round contacts on 19 mm centres. Because the CEE 7/4 plug can be inserted in either direction into the receptacle, the Schuko connection system is unpolarised (i.e. line and neutral are connected at random). It is used in applications up to 16 amps. Above that, equipment must either be wired permanently to the mains or connected via another higher power connector such as the IEC 309 system. In order to bridge the differences between sockets E and F, the CEE 7/7 plug was developed. This plug, which is shown above, has grounding clips on both sides to mate with the type F socket and a female contact to accept the grounding pin of the type E socket. The original type F plug, which does not have this female contact, is still available at the DIY shops but only in a rewireable version.

Cheers,

SD

EDIT: Oops, my bad. There is another kind of socket (Type E) that uses a pin that goes into that hole, but I have never seen them in LoS or anywhere in this region for that matter:

plug_socket2.jpg

From the aforementioned site: France, Belgium and some other countries have standardised on a socket which is different from the CEE 7/4 socket (type F) that is standard in Germany and other continental European countries. The reason for incompatibility is that grounding in the E socket is accomplished with a round male pin permanently mounted in the socket. The plug itself is similar to C except that it is round and has the addition of a female contact to accept the grounding pin in the socket. In order to bridge the differences between sockets E and F, the CEE 7/7 plug was developed: it has grounding clips on both sides to mate with the type F socket and a female contact to accept the grounding pin of the type E socket. The original type E plug, which does not have grounding clips, is no longer used, although very rarely it can still be found on some older appliances. Note that the CEE 7/7 plug is polarised when used with a type E outlet. The plug is rated at 16 amps. Above that, equipment must either be wired permanently to the mains or connected via another higher power connector such as the IEC 309 system.

Thank you, SuaDum. You have cleared up a mystery that has haunted me for years.:up:

I'd seen the female type F connector before, but did not connect it (no pun) with the male counterpart.

Now I can go out and shop for an adpator or extension cord to solve the problem. In the worst case, I can make an adaptor, now that I know what mates with the plug on the stove.

That's a wonderful website, by the way :)

Thanks again.

Hi,

Slight complication with many Thai electrical installations is that although the sockets have the facility for a ground connection, seldom are actually connected to ground!

This is why I get a shock from my computer case, it is definitely not static. Alos a recent incident of where a Thai kid of about six was electrocuted and died while getting a glass of water from a dispenser in a Thai hospital!

More local info' from http://www.thailandguru.com/cq-grounding.html

Cheers,

John_Betong

Archived