Phrase Of The Day

mikem55

I thought it would be helpful for us non-Thai speakers to learn a new Thai phrase each day. Eventually, we would have some sort of limited working vocabulary.

It would be helpful along with the phrase to also spell it as it sounds, so a Thai person could actually understand us hopefully.

Perhaps the first phrase somebody could teach me (and I know I saw it written somewhere before but can't remember where) is how to say 'not spicy' which would be very helpful when ordering Thai food, which to me is some of the spiciest food on earth.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a phrase a day is a good idea and I'll post today's. This is the first phrase I learned in Thailand: "Where is the toilet, please?" "Hong nam, tee nai, krap."

I can't actually speak Thai (except under extreme duress), but I do know lots of phrases that get me by and I'm looking forward to maybe learning a few new ones here.

hawng (high) room

narm (climb high -long sound) water

you(low-long sound) is - location

tee (high- long sound)at

nai (low to higher climb in sound - long sound but, finishes abbruptly) where?

where is the toilet?

you could also say....

hawng (high) room

narm (climb high) water

drong (highish, sometimes said in a middle voice - shortish in length) location-very close to you

nai (low to higher climb)where?

the sounds are (use a long sounding soft voice for this)

gor (middle voice)

gor (low voice)

gor (gor-or, high to middle shift)

gor (high climb)

gor (gor-or, low to middle shift)

practice this daily and even talk to some of the girls around the place as they tend to speak better and clearer than some of the guys. Choosing to talk to a girl with limited english will benifit you greatly.

A girl with very good english skills will speak to you only in english or tell you one or two words which is useless, as people speak in sentences. She will say its easier to speak english (and that only benifits her language education). Also, she might only teach you what she wants you to know to prevent you from talking to other girls !!

Oh yeah! Remember in correct Thai speech, Roll your "r" like you have just come out of Berlin Germany. Many Thais find it easier to swap "r" with "l" when speaking as the King has noticed and frowned apon (I hear).

So "a!-rai - what?" most often said on tv as "a-rai"' becomes "a-lai"

and "aroi - delicious" becomes "aloi"

and "ree-un - learn" becomes "le-un"

and "rot - vehicle" becomes "lot"

"rot-motor-sai" - motorbike

"rot-yon" - car

"rot-mai" - bus

"rot-tour" - tour bus

and a sign you might see on a song taew taxi...

"ga-roona dree-um ngern gorn lorng"... blah blah blah

please prepare money before decending (leaving, departing) cya! smile.gif" border="0

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: mushroom ]

Archived