Best Exchange Rates

sakoni2002

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sayjann said:

certainly,anything to help a fellow Boardmember.

but i think Lloyds TSB will be a better bet then Nationwide........ :up:

dont know why you say that, i have both a lloyds current account and a nationwide current account, nationwide is far cheaper for charges on credit/debit card spending, and their exchange rates are far superior than lloyds.

nationwide also currently have a 9 months interest free credit card (which i now have with them), so its a win / win situation.

http://nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/ClassicCard/default.htm

glyn said:
sayjann said:

certainly,anything to help a fellow Boardmember.

but i think Lloyds TSB will be a better bet then Nationwide........ :up:

dont know why you say that, i have both a lloyds current account and a nationwide current account, nationwide is far cheaper for charges on credit/debit card spending, and their exchange rates are far superior than lloyds.

nationwide also currently have a 9 months interest free credit card (which i now have with them), so its a win / win situation.

http://nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/ClassicCard/default.htm

Of course that is the other thing with Nationwide. When you use their credit cards abroad, there is no commission charge. With others, you can pay 1-1.5% extra.

I'd be using the card (credit or debit) primarily on overseas withdrawls, so it sounds like Nationwide would be better. To open up the Royal Bank of Scotland account, I had to use the address of the timeshare in Edinburgh, so I imagine that I would have to do the same thing with Nationwide.

I just ran across an old statement from R.B. of S. and it turns out that I did use my ATM card from them in February 2004 twice in LOS. When I took 20,000 baht out, they charged me 4 quid as a service charge and 7.25 as "ERTF," whatever that means. 11.25 quid translates into about $19.50, which is what it cost me to get $500 from an ATM. This is considerably more than Bank of America ($5.00) and my local savings and loan ($1.50). I don't think that I'll be using my R.B. of S. card the next time in LOS. Now, I just have to figure out how I am going to remove the money, either by opening another account in the U.K. or having them wire me the money. I won't be going to the U.K. until next May.

If you want to change currency, I heard that there is a small currency dealer called Siam Exchange on Phyathai Road, opposite Siam Discovery center. Good rates, about 1% better than best bank rates. They will even change less common currencies such as the South African Rand. I read this on the Stickman site, I think.

• 1 month later...

If its true they only use 0,25% spread how can they get 'super rich'?

Anyways anyone have the recent euro rates from siam exchange or money rich for cash & travellers cheques respectively. Usually TT gets the superiour rate due to gueranteed(non fake) funds?

If they really buy euros virtually at the interbank rate I wont waste my money on a wired transfer not too mention the ATM route, which usually beats BKK bank rates by far ;)

sakoni2002 said:

I reckon the best exchange rates available for changing into Thai Bath is the ATM.

I got 72 Bath to £1 whilst most money changers were quoting from 65 to 68 less commission.

On a UK 'Nationwide' Debit card, there is no commission. That in my opinion offers the best deal.

Which date did you get 72bt from the ATM?

If e.g. checking 3.oct.2005 BKK bank quotes cash at 71.09 or travellers cheques at 71.995 very close to 72 indeed!

Keep in mind the interbank rate, which I dare you to beat & the money changers spread around it is reflected in buying & selling rates often differing by several percentage points, while the famous 'Super rich' exchange boot opposite WTC only uses a 0,25% spread, which I doubt can be beat by any foreign exchange method - anyone?

p.s. when is the euro/pund going up again way down below the 50mark since months :(

Well I just confirmed on 10th dec that super rich or the other black market dealers opposite WTC did in fact NOT beat the cirrus ATM network rate as offered by my German issued (Citibank) current account card.

However all 3 methods: fee free travellers cheques cashed at e.g. bkk bank, cool cash at super rich & fee free ATM withdrawels on fee free exchange conversion are all very close within maybe 0.25% & could swing each way on any given daily fluctation I guess :)

Happy spending (without your bank spending part of your salary before giving it to the needy TGs) ;)

Archived