US laptop given to thai teenager?

pattaya127

I've noticed a lot of the computers I've seen in BKK have had versions of W98 on them. Would probably be okay for the kid, as well, unless you want to give her a leg up with a newer O/S. But will probably run slow - I used to do computer support, and W2K will run okay on a system with that hardware config, as long as you don't use resource-intensive programs. But image editing software usually is resource-intensive, so will run a little slow.

monkey39

Thanks to all for the answers. I just want to invest in a few cheapie software from pantip, no games (not powerful enough) no big overhaul, the kid just needs to toggle with the thing, decipher the english as she learns an types, understand the basics of mouse and using the few programs, maybe a little photo-download and editing (software on, already, as well as an old acrobat reader, words).

If she outgrows it in a few months, it's a good sign, i wil buy her a new one, but for now, let's see if it does not end up with the chickens under the stilted village house!

GF told her, she keeps asking about it. It was fun last i brought it to the village, everone gathered around to see the pix of the temple fair happened in the afternoon, then my birthday the same night.

Sure as shit, the GF will want one (they grow on trees as evryone knows ::), but to me her kid is the main of my concern, I want to get her thru school.

pattaya127 said:

Sure as shit, the GF will want one (they grow on trees as evryone knows ::), but to me her kid is the main of my concern, I want to get her thru school.

There is a place on the third floor of Fortune called Jinan that sells cheap used laptops mostly imported from Japan. You should be able to get one for under B10K if you gal kicks up too much of a fuss or a better one for under B20K if the kid outgrows the one you give her.

I am very serious about the memory tho'. It will cost less than B2K and is worth every penny. I know because I just got and configured similar laptops for both my daughters...

Cheers,

SD

Do they sell ordinary PC's as well and what would the price for a computer that could play a Doom III kind of game set me back?

I would like to set up a PC for a 11 year old kid and teach him to operate a webcam/speakerset so that my wife can communicate with her mother for free (skype).

Are the Thai telephone system (poor area of BKK) stable enough, or do they have ADSL perhaps?

Archived