US laptop given to thai teenager?

pattaya127

I am going to give my old Toshiba laptop to my ex's kid who turns 13 this month (plus the old digital camera, with USB cable). Now, she is learning english, but barely, i would guess.

what programs would you install on such comp' (windows 98), to help het thru the motion of using that thing. A windows 98 manual in thai too (book, not software)? english/thai talking dictionnary?, english tutoring? anything specifically thai?

I mean: Any specific programs you know about, rather than the idea of

I'd say comp' is 6 years old, got it used too, probably 333MH, 64RAM, 5 GB memory, that type.

Do the kid a favour and add as much RAM as it will take (prolly a stick of 128Mb is it for a total of 192Mb). Otherwise it will be so slow as to be worthless.

Doing any internet stuff? If so, load Firefox and Thunderbird to help keep it free or nasties that prey on Micro$oft shit. And of course AVG or some other free virus stuff. And MSN Messenger cuz most Thai kids live with internet access live on it.

Cheers,

SD

It's usually not possible to change the video card in a laptop, in the best case you can add some video memory but probably not on that type of hardware.

If possible I would add/replace the memory modules in order to reach 256 MB of RAM (it's probably some old SDRAM, very cheap to upgrade) and I would install a Thai version of Windows XP OR a Multi User Interface (MUI) version of Windows XP with the Thai language pack. This last option would allow you to switch the whole OS interface language from Thai to English whenever you want (if you need to fix something for instance).

Windows 98 is outdated, instable and if the goal is to learn how to use a computer, better start with an operating system that is still in use in home and corporate environments.

The 333 Mhz CPU is a bit slow for Windows XP but once tuned (mainly the visual effects) and with 256 MB it should run perfectly. No need to consider installing Windows 2000 as the hardware requirements for it are similar to the ones needed for a fine tuned Windows XP.

Feel free to contact me if you need more details about the tweaking of XP or just search google :)

Hi!

The 333 Mhz CPU is a bit slow for Windows XP but once tuned (mainly the visual effects) and with 256 MB it should run perfectly.

It should run but extremely slowly. XP is more stable than w98 but not more stable than a properly tuned W2000. Anyway if a kid is to learn how a computer works an old operating system will do the job as one should learn the basics before learning how to edit videaos etc.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived