Crap rules..

Zaad

Hi!

Who says so? In fact, it is not even a law!

I only know what I have read in the newspapers (English). As you live there you should know more. What I read was that from Jan 1 these rules were in effect. I happened to be in Pattaya at the time and in the end of January 7/11 and Family Mart stopped selling beer at the given time. Of course in Pattaya it is always possible to get beer at any given time. Tops at the junction Central rd./Sai song covers the beer with tarps. This does bring back memories when we had equally stupid rules in Sweden.

Also, notice that the lunch hours are exempt. It's is perfectly all right to get sh*tfaced at lunch, between noon and 2 PM. You've got a couple of hours to get totally wasted in the middle of the day. Hey, can't interfere with the civil servants' and soldiers' long booze breaks during working hours.

As being both a former soldier and civil servant I can only support this. :neener:

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< I blame the Thai educational system. >>

You've got it. Traditionally, students are supposed to sit in class and absorb like a sponge, never questioning anything. The teacher is always right, which carries over into the person in higher authority is always right.

A few years ago, a Thai ajarn said that she had heard the students talking about how much they liked my speaking class. She asked if she could observe it one day, so I agreed. The woman came in and sat in the back of my class. After about 20 minutes, she got up with a scowl on her face and stomped out of the room. I wondered what I had done wrong and was expecting to be chewed out for something. Instead, the woman told me that my students were terrible! They challenged my statements, argued with me, spoke without first requesting permission etc. How could I let them get away with that? I replied that it had taken me weeks to get them to act like that and participate in class. Mind you, these were university undergraduates too. But they were "bad students" in her eyes because they didn't just sit there quietly and do nothing.

::

p.s. One semester the department head taught right across the hall from me. I could see into her classroom through the glass panels on our doors. The students sat in her room petrified and never said a word, just taking notes and staring blankly. Later, I talked to some of her students. She told me they were terrified of her and much to afraid to ask any questions. They hated the class and couldn't wait for it to end. Yet that was an example of "good" Thai teaching. :o

himitsu said:

chuckwow-

"Sometimes it's as if they have some kind of mental blockage. I blame the Thai educational system. "

I think it is most Asian countries but some are, of course, worse than others.

Time for them to get with the program godammit. We've been patient long enough. :cussing:

I wonder why no Thai challenges these "laws" in court?

The constitution strictly forbids extra-judical killings but the government was never taken to court over the 3000 killings by police!

Good point: there is a gap between police practices and the law. But there is law here, and that may come back to haunt those who have engaged in extra-judicial killings.

Thailand is changing. Notice all the stories about corruption in the press. Is Thailand more corrupt than before, or is the growing middle class getting fed up with corruption?

Actually there have been a number of articles where the president of the Thai Law Society (don't recall his name, but his firm's name is something like Dej Udom) has said the law society intends to challenge a variety of laws under the new constitution. Even the US Embassy's website, while advising that you can be arrested for not carrying ID, also mentions that Thai civil libertarians contest the legality of police practices in carrying out mass urine tests (but, to be fair, also says it is not aware of any succesful challenges yet). If there is a challenge, it will probably take years to decide. Look how long it takes for cases to reach the Supreme Court in the US. And US Courts move at lightening speed compared to Thai Courts (our bank is still trying to forceclose on mortgages that went into default in 1997 during the financial crisis).

All of this course, assumes that there actually is a law that says the police can require everyone in a bar to submit to a urine test. Is anyone yet able to locate this law?

Archived