Embarrasing mistakes

khunsanuk

Hi,

Learning another language is always difficult and I am sure many of you have mis-spoken or heard people messing up.

How about some examples?

Here's a few from me.

One of the best ones was a friend asking for orange juice, very politely yet mispronouncing one crucial word.

"Khoo naam suam noi khrap" (Can I please have a glass of toilet water?)

And then there was the guy who tried to show off to his friends in a rather crowded restaurant by asking, in a loud voice, for a glass of water. Or so he thought.

"Khoo nom yai khrap!" (Can I have big tits?)

Just recently I was in Hua Hin with a friend and his g/f. He remarked that the beaches in Pattaya were cleaner (less junk in the sand), and he figured that was because of the "phuuying phuuchai sa-aat" (the clean boys and girls).

To give all these guys some credit though, they are all willing to try and learn a new language. And even though they fuck up from time to time, they are improving their language skills.

Finally, yes I too fuck up from time to time. For one, I refuse to say the word banana in Thai. Whenever I do, I often pronounce it incorrectly and end up saying dick. (Sorry, don't know how to write the differences)

Sanuk!

I made a couple in one day recently. I must have been tired..

1. I told my teacher that I had to go to hospital "praw waa aw maak maak". [i meant to say "ay" for coughing too much.]

2. To the same person, I starting talking about how much I liked "nom mapraaw" - coconut milk, so I thought. Nope, those are tits as big as coconuts.

Hi!

I to refuse to say banana in Thai. Another Thai word that i hate is "klay" which according to my books on the thai language means nearby in one tone and far away in another. I always forget the tones so if I ask a driver "klay mai" i don't know if I asked if it was close or far away.

regards

ALHOLK

regards

ALHOLK

Hi,

"Another Thai word that i hate is "klay" which according to my books on the thai language means nearby in one tone and far away in another. I always forget the tones so if I ask a driver "klay mai" i don't know if I asked if it was close or far away."

Hahaha, same here.

A small tip regarding this. Thais have a tendency to repeat the word for near (i.e. "klay klay"), yet never do so for the word far.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

SNIP

Finally, yes I too fuck up from time to time. For one, I refuse to say the word banana in Thai. Whenever I do, I often pronounce it incorrectly and end up saying dick. (Sorry, don't know how to write the differences)

Sanuk!

If you just make sure to pronounce the "L" in banana = Gluay, nobody could possibly mistake it for the word for dick.

And although the majority of thais will omit the "L" when pronouncing Gluay it is there all the same.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Hua Nguu ]

Wellll.

I always seem to find it difficult to get a glass of ice tea, no sugar in here.

I ask for cha yen, no sugar.

( just tea bag dipped in hot water, and put over ice type tea)

gets to where I have to explain the entire process. with words like- cha falang, liption, nom kang;; ect. ( you'd think I was asking to get something compounded at the pharmacy)

seems like I got in the habit of saying "cha yen, no sugar" so it was geting automatic.

once ( in a small bar in patong) just wanted a glass of ice water, and said "nam yen, no sugar" ( the no sugar part must have been programmed in me from my battle to get a decent glass of ice tea)

anway, I got the water ( along with a weird look).

later, I overheard a discussion to the effect that maybe the ( the bar staff) did not really know what falang tastes were, and maybe they should have been putting sugar in the water all along, and my asking got them to thinking up to then they were doing it wrong.

maybe I should have stuck around to see what the next person that ordered nam yet actually got.

gotta love it.

quote:

A small tip regarding this. Thais have a tendency to repeat the word for near (i.e. "klay klay"), yet never do so for the word far.

Except when they say 'pbai kly kly' they normally mean go far away!

One of my funnier incidents was when I was trying to tell a girl

Wa-nee rien sii laeow = I learned colors today

Wrong tone on sii and she thought I had learned to 'f..k' today. Ouch! shocked.gif" border="0

Hi,

"Except when they say 'pbai kly kly' they normally mean go far away!"

Good point smile.gif" border="0

"Wa-nee rien sii laeow = I learned colors today

Wrong tone on sii and she thought I had learned to 'f..k' today. Ouch!"

You lost me with this one, unless she understood 'siauw' (horny) instead off 'sii laeow'.

Sanuk!

quote:

Wrong tone on sii and she thought I had learned to 'f..k' today. Ouch!"

You lost me with this one, unless she understood 'siauw' (horny) instead off 'sii laeow'.

Sanuk![/QB]

Sii means color, but it is also a rather coarse word for "fuck" in Issan/Lao.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: PakWaan ]

Archived