Embarrasing mistakes

khunsanuk

They sound virtually identical to me.... guess you just gather the meaning from the context.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

PakWaan,

Can you distinguish for me the tone difference between the two words? Never really clarified that one.

daeng - like those thai characters...

ดริส - hah, my first thai typing, even slower than my farang double finger stabbing....

anyway, here's my recent foul up -

was at a restaurant, known for it's extremely cold beer. It comes very close to freezing, and a frozen glass - hence the affect it has on the beer and the place's name - "Snow Beer".

In thai it's : bia hi ma

On the phone to girlfriend to tell her where i was, i said "bia hii maa" . The (thai) friends sitting with me collapsed laughing.... took many many minutes before i got the reason.

Maa with a long vowel, and low tone is dog (i knew that, honest). Hii, said with a long vowel rather than a short one, means pussy - and not as in cat.

Dog's pussy beer ........... yumyum..

anyway, at least now i know another slang word for a woman's pussy to go with hooy (as in mussels etc)

coops

quote:

Originally posted by coops:

daeng - like those thai characters...

SNIP

was at a restaurant, known for it's extremely cold beer. It comes very close to freezing, and a frozen glass - hence the affect it has on the beer and the place's name - "Snow Beer".

In thai it's : bia hi ma

On the phone to girlfriend to tell her where i was, i said "bia hii maa" . The (thai) friends sitting with me collapsed laughing.... took many many minutes before i got the reason.

Maa with a long vowel, and low tone is dog (i knew that, honest). Hii, said with a long vowel rather than a short one, means pussy - and not as in cat.

coops

"Maa" meaning dog is pronounced with a long vowel and a very distinct *rising* tone not a low tone.

Haha... this is a great thread!

A while ago I made a similar mistake to others in this thread when explaining why I thought a particular trip to Pattaya was going to be a fun one. It was a group of us who had studied together all heading at the same time in my friend's car and I was trying to describe to a particular girl why this time would be better if I went alone with my friends.

She asked me why it would be particularly fun. I meant to answer that it would be fun because we're going as a group of four people this time. Instead, I answered her that it was going to be fun because we were going to f*ck people this time!!! (falling instead of low tone) A freudian slip, perhaps, if I had known the difference at the time.

The other week I had an embarrassing freudian slip because it was actually what was on my mind. A couple of girls had come back to my place with a friend and I after closing Q-Bar down. One girl passed out in my spare bedroom and my friend went home so I was left alone with the second girl. I had meant to ask her if she wanted to sleep also, but I instead asked her if she wanted to sleep with me!!! (duay-gan instead of duay)

Oops... She had a shocked look on her face and I felt quite embarrassed. laugh.gif" border="0

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Crash999:

Yeah, but did she take you up on it?
laugh.gif" border="0

Yeah, actually- though her friend woke up and left first which took a while. I think I wound up sleeping at something like 7am that day. =)

And this is the older of two sisters, the younger of whom slept in my apartment the week before. No interesting story with the younger one, though... yet!

I love Thailand!!!!

Archived