Florida anybody?

Zaad

I'm sure everybody has heard of yet another hurricane raging across Mexico and the US... same shit just different name; Wilma.

Read here

It just surprises me that people still move to that place called Florida. Hurricanes year after year and the interval between the mad storms seems to be decreasing as time goes by.

Not talking about the residents as they obviously try (must) live with mother nature, but moving there???

I have an acquaintance who sold his house in Florida since he hadn't fixed his house from the previous storm or the next one was knocking on his door.

Really surprised anybody is still interested in moving to that disaster zone.

:dunno:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Florida is a haven for retirees. It is a vicious circle, they are already there, so newer retirees want to be around their own age group, in a warm place, and there is no state income tax charged there so (arguably) their pension goes further. Others go there because it is one of the few warm year 'round ocean-front states that is very conservative Christian (read that redneck). Yes FLA is very, very redneck aside from SE FLA, which is mostly Jewish & Cuban, but that's another story.

Cheers,

SD

Well, you know as well as I that nowadays "conservative Christian" in the US is code for "redneck fundy wacko". Elsewhere in the world, it means what it says.

:stirthepo

EDIT: Phil, nothing wrong with them if they keep to themselves. People can worship the flying spaghetti monster if they like, I do not care. But keep it outta my life! In the US, the wacko fundys want to get into your bedroom, your school, your personal life, and condemn anyone that does not believe as they do -- they are as bad as the Taliban. I'll be happy to go to hell so I will not have to deal with them (if they are right, that is LOL). Do a search on Pat Robertson, James Dobson, George Bush, Intellegent Design, Abortion, people refusing to do their jobs because of "faith" (fun commentary on that), or other things etc. if you want more!

Cheers,

SD

Calling someone a redneck does verge on racism. The idea is that low class uneducated white folks are all stupid and potential KK Klan material, which is hardly true. Redneck really should be thrown in the dustbin along with Kike, Dago, Wop, Wog, Gook, the N-word and all the rest. Except for some reason it is still acceptable to pick on white heterosexual males, especially southerners. Try telling a gay joke and see how much flak you get. But change the gay to a "redneck" and it is okay.

Conservative Christian in the States has gained something of a negative meaning in the past few years, thanks to loonies who think that even the late Barry Goldwater was a pinko.

But Jeff Foxworthy *is* funny...

You might be a redneck if...

...you think Sherlock Holmes is a housing project down in Biloxi.

...you think a stock tip is advice on worming' your hogs.

...you've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.

...you think TACO BELL is the Mexican Phone Company

...your state's got a new law that says when a couple get divorced, they are still legally brother and sister.

...the third grade teacher says little Bubba could be a mathematical genius because he's got thirteen fingers.

...fifth grade was the best six years of your life.

...you have to go outside to get something out of the 'fridge.

...a seven course meal is a bucket of KFC and a sixpack.

...one of your kids was born on a pool table.

...you have spray painted your girlfriend's name on a highway overpass.

...your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.

...down where you come from reruns of Hee Haw are called documentaries.

...your house doesn't have curtains, but your truck does.

...you need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos.

...you have flowers planted in a bathroom fixture in your front yard.

...you think the mountain men in Deliverance were just "misunderstood".

...you refer to the fifth grade as, "your senior year".

...the Halloween pumpkin on your front porch has more teeth than your wife.

...your 'huntin dawg' cost more than the truck you drive him around in.

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

<<Calling someone a redneck does verge on racism. The idea is that low class uneducated white folks are all stupid and potential KK Klan material, which is hardly true. Redneck really should be thrown in the dustbin along with Kike, Dago, Wop, Wog, Gook, the N-word and all the rest. Except for some reason it is still acceptable to pick on white heterosexual males, especially southerners. Try telling a gay joke and see how much flak you get. But change the gay to a "redneck" and it is okay.>>

Thanks FM, i agree the term redneck should be binned, it is racist but i guess it will be acceptable for years to come :(

I think one should be able to laugh at anyone. To hit home at me, tell all the Irish jokes you want. Or Yank jokes. Or whatever. If they are funny, then they are funny. People just really need to lighten up -- if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?

Cheers,

SD

Archived