Civil War in The south

BuffHello

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My black room mate at university used to say, "If the revolution ever comes, first we kill all of the liberals." What he meant was the patronising attitude so many white liberals have towards black Americans. Plenty of white liberals seem to think they know what is best for African-Americans, better than the black folks do themselves!

Plenty of white liberals seem to think they know what is best for African-Americans

--------------------------------

Just for the record, he wrote specifically about her, saying "they hated her". Not "they think they know better than black-americans".

If blacks prefer, they can drop the white and black liberals and vote for the others for whom liberal is a dirty word. Which lately, they have no inclination to do.

Eleanor Roosevelt pretty much changed that. She was one of the early civil rights champions. And Truman was the one who ordered the integration of the armed forces.

Oddly enough, Earl Warren -- who wrote the Brown vs the Board of Education decision that banned segregated schools, was a liberal Republican -- ex-Gov of California. I remember reading that Warren was so well liked in California that in one election BOTH the Republican and Democrat parties nominated him. (Then the Dems changed the rules to make sure that wouldn't happen again!)

Flashermac said:

Muslim REFUSENIK???

I'm sure that using a semi-Yiddish term makes her message so much more persuasive to Muslims.

come to think of it she looks a bit jewish, maybe it's all a jewish plot to discredit and further oppress the poor muslims. Not as bizzare as it sounds, several muslim leaders in UK have been reported as believing 7/7 here was not perpetrated by muslims but that it was some sort of secret service plot becasuse the war in iraq is going badly and unpopular.

The republican party was for a long time THE party Blacks voted for!

----------------------------

times they are-a-changing!

Come to think of it, Wallace was a democrat, no? though a "southern" democrat.

Ever heard the telephone conversation from Johnson to him when he was relenting to follow federal orders on desegragation. Pure Johnson cajoling/hand twisting:

J: george I hear you won't let our guys in to help with this mess.

GW: Yes, Mr P, as the elected governor of...

J: George, you and i are old guys, someday we will die, and all this resistance will add up to nothing. You and I know that, george?

GW: yes, Mr President.

J: now, when you are dead, do you want to be known as a man who freed people, or a man who ran on hatred..

GW: I understand you, Mr P.

J: you're going to let the federals carry the laws congress has passed, will you george.

GW: I will, Mr president.

J: thanks George..How is Mrs wallace?

a bit ad-libbed in details, but in spirit, i remember it well. Just loved it.

Wallace was a politician, pure and simple. He didn't start out a hard core segregationist -- but got beaten in his first try for office by someone who was. It was then that he made his famous statement, "I won't ever be out-segged again!" Old George did whatever it took to get elected. And when black Alabamians got the vote, George served then as well or better than most of his successors. Wallace appointed many black Americans to state government positions.

Even Mayor Smitherman of Selma did the same thing. And crazily enough, black voters kept re-electing Smitherman once they got the vote because he looked after their interests quite well. (I believe Selma actually has more black voters than white.) My parents met Smitherman and he told them that he would do what the voters wanted ... anything to stay in office.

This is the same Smitherman who had used police dogs and fire hoses on demonstrators!

So much for politicians and principles.

"and has been shutdown for a bit in the past".

No, he hasn't. The one time a message was up that said he was shut down by the government was his own April Fool's joke. That was this year.

Was it Eleanor Roosevelt so much as the Depression itself? The reason the blacks voted for the Republicans for so long was because they freed the slaves. You know, that whole Civil War thing? Republicans really fucked up their image with the Depression. That's when the Democrats took up their image as the party of the working man.

Archived